Wishing's Just No Good

{Ellie's P.O.V.}

The cold winter air reached out to touch my nose as I walked along the streets of London. Yet again, it was another cold and miserable day in the city. People walked past me with bitter eyes, yearning to go home. My heels clicked against the wet concrete as I made my way towards my flat. Sunglasses were covering my identity even though the sun had been hiding from society all morning. 

A large black coat cut off near my ankles, making it so it covered my entire body, encasing me in a warm embrace to shelter me from the horrid weather. The men and women around me that pushed their way through me seemed to thin out as I rounded the corner to walk down an alley instead of the main street. Drips of water fell to meet the ground as I walked past rancid smelling dumpsters and dirty staircases leading to the back doors of mini corner stores.

Another pair of heels came clicking towards my direction, but I was too caught up in looking through my phone to even bother bringing my eyes to see who it was. The other person must have done the same thing, because as our clicks grew closer, we collided. They fell back, landing right onto the wet ground. I instantly fell away from them, catching myself on the side of a trash can before I too could land in a puddle. 

"Bloody hell!" I began. "Watch where you're going!"

My shades fell down to the tip of my nose, allowing me to see a small brown haired girl sitting on the ground with a pissed off face. I wiped my hands on my sides and leaned forward to lend a helping hand to her. Quietly and shyly, she took it, but barely used it as she lifted herself up. 

"I'm so very sorry. I should have been watching where I was going, it's my fault."

I continued looking at her as she began to take off her now wet clothes, revealing her delicate skin to the chilling air. She shivered as she stood there, collecting things that fell from her coat pocket. My stomach fluttered as our eyes met, sending off a spark inside of me that I didn't know how to control. 

"Do you want me to buy you a drink or something to make up for it? I feel bad for making you almost ruin that wonderful attire you've got."

My hand raised up to push my sunglasses back up and I shook my head. She came back up and stuffed her belongings into her jean pockets. I let out a small sigh as I gave in, pulling off my coat to hand to her. She looked to me with kind eyes.

"Oh, no, no, no. It's very cold outside, keep that on."

"Yes, exactly, it's cold outside. I've got this sweater on," I pulled on my snow coloured sweater to show her. "And you've got just a shirt on. Honestly, take this. We can go back to my flat and I'll dry your coat for you."

We exchanged jackets and I pointed to the way I was going. My flat was only a block away. We didn't have much time of facing the biting air. As we walked I examined her some more. Her shiny black boots that rose up to meet her knees, and had slight heels to them, made her my height. The way her soft brown hair bounced near the small of her back made me miss my beautiful brown locks I once had.

She was a work of art. A really stunning woman if you ask me. Not too shabby for running into while walking. Her walking paused in front of a wooden door with a silver button with the number '1' on it. We've reached my door.  I fished for my keys in my side pocket, rushing to get us inside so I could warm up.

Her boots clicked over to stand next to my creme coloured couch. I walked past her and went to sit down to pry these shoes off. My heels ached as I stood back up to meet her face. 

"So, mystery woman. What might one call you?"

She turned her body to follow mine as I made my way into my kitchen to sit on a stool. 

"I'm Codi. Codi McKnight."

"Well, Codi McKnight. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Ellie...Goulding."

Her hands fidgeted by her side as she smiled to me. I jumped up from the stool, remembering her wet jacket that was hanging from the arm of the couch. We shuffled around each other as I went to bring it to the dryer.

When I came back, Codi was gazing around at various awards and album covers that hung from my gray walls. 

"Cool, right? That one over there," I pointed to a framed vinyl. "Is my personal favourite."

She turned in a slow circle and looked around like a child in a candy store. 

"What about you?" I asked, nudging her arm lightly. 

"I think I like that one the most."

Her finger lifted to a point to show me artwork to one of my favourite albums. Björk. Good lord that girl could make some good music. We both jumped up from our spots when a loud beeping noise came from the dryer. 

"Well that was fast." Codi said.

"Yea," I began walking towards the room the dryer was in. "This thing has a high power to it. 5 minutes tops is all it takes to dry a single article of clothing. For a full load it take probably 15 minutes."

I walked back out, handing the now warm coat in her arms. She put it down as she reached to take of the one I'd given her not too long ago. 

"Thank you, and again I'm sorry for nearly knocking you over. Better me than you."

Before I could respond my phone buzzed inside of my pocket with a lit up screen telling me a radio presenter -who had been calling me all day-  was calling me yet again. 

"Jesus Christ, what is it?"

The man at the other end of the line choked to speak. "Hello Miss, I wanted to know if you'd be interested in an interview for 108.7 FM?"

Codi leaned back a little bit when my fist slammed against the wall. 

"Listen, after how much you've bugged me today, I wouldn't do it for a million dollars. Next time, try calling my manager instead of me. Got it?"

My grouchy mood scared the man to hang up the phone. 

"Fucking arse." I said as my phone met the couch with a thump. 

Codi took a step back as she took in my aggression. I've probably scared the girl. 

"Okay well I best get going now."

As she walked towards my door I watched with a cold expression. She turned to thank me again. I nodded and watched her walk out the door. A white piece of paper spiraled down to greet the hardwood floor. 

I walked over to meet it, picking it up to see it was a business card. 

CODI MCKNIGHT

AUTHOR OF QUICKSAND BOOKS

LONDON, ENGLAND, U.K.

020 7964 3502

This Codi McKnight girl wasn't too bad. An author and a beauty. The spark inside of me lit up again as I pressed the paper to my chest, smiling to myself.