Chapter 1

Narrators POV

Kimberly June loved the outdoors, especially the woods. It was her favorite place to be, when she was upset she would go to a large rock in the center of the woods by her house. She loved to just look at the trees and the sky. The stream was​ always so pretty, the sunlight sparkling off of it. She visited the rock often. So often, she kept snacks and water bottles in a box under its ledge. It wasn't that Kimberly was always upset, sometimes she just needed time to think. She liked a nice quiet place to think about life, about the future. She thinks at the rock instead of home, because the rock is away from all the stressful things in life.

She had found this rock when she was a little girl and had gotten lost in the woods. She was so scared all she could do was cry. She stayed on that rock and did so till her papa found her. Ever since then it has been her place. She spent most of her time there, and she never thought for a second that anything bad could ever happen to her there. She was wrong.

On her sixteenth birthday she invited a bunch of friends to her house for a sleepover. It was all going well, they had just finished cake and a movie, when her best friend Paige got sick. After about ten minutes of holding her hair back while she puked in a toilet, she called Paige's mom to come pick her up. As they waited Kimberly's mind began to wander.

Kimberly's POV

Paige had been my friend since kindergarten, we always stuck together. Every birthday party I had, Paige was there. Any time one of us got scared or upset we would be there for each other. We never did anything without each other.

I watched as Paige got in the car. "I'm sorry Kim, I promise I'll make it up to you." she said as they started to pull away from the house.

I just stared, I couldn't imagine what I was going to do. As the car drove away I had to fight the urge to run towards the woods. There were still other people in the house that were here for my party. I knew that I might scare my parents if I just ran off in the middle of the party so I decided I would wait.

Slowly I went back inside and was immediately attacked by all the girls and their questions."Is she okay?" my friend Amber asked pulling me into the living room.

I sat down on the comfy black couch, looking around at all my friends. I had no idea how uncomfortable it would make me feel without Paige. I looked around at all the pictures in the room, almost all of them had Paige and Me. I realized they were still waiting for my answer. "Yeah, she went home to get so rest." I replied just staring at the floor. I had no idea what to do without Paige.  I felt so lost.

"So what else do you have planned for tonight?" the other girl, Jamie, asked.

"I don't really know Paige, is the one who planned everything​." The truth of the sentence stung. I hadn't even planned my own birthday party without her.

Luckily dad came down at just that moment and said, "You guys going to bed soon?"

Normally I would get upset and point out that it was only 10:00. But this time I decided it would be a great idea to go to bed, wait till everyone was asleep, then sneak out to my rock for some​ alone time. "When do want us in bed?" I asked taking dad into the kitchen where no one could here us.

"Well, now would be great, you, mom, and I are leaving at noon to go to grandma's remember. So you'll have to be up early so you can clean up after saying goodbye to your friends." He emphasized.

"Sure we can go to bed now if you want." The look on his face was a mix between surprise and happiness at my giving in.

"Great just turn out the lights on your way up." he said leaving kitchen.

"ok"

As I walked back into the living room I tried not to look to happy when I told them the news, because they definitely weren't. There was a lot of groaning but no one voiced there complaints. We headed to my room and turned out the lights as we went. We situated ourselves where we were going to sleep and turned out the light. I closed my eyes in hopes that they wouldn't talk so they would go to sleep, but I couldn't have been more wrong. As soon as my head hit the pillow they started jabbering about boys and outfits. UGH. "Hey guys, I was thinking maybe if we go to sleep now we can get up early instead and we can do a lot more since we can move around the house." I said hoping the would agree.

To my surprise they did. They quieted down and slowly after about half an hour the sound of snoring could be heard. The snoring told me that Amber was asleep, now I just had to wait a couple more minutes and if Jamie didn't do anything about it then they were both asleep.

Thankfully nothing happened. I slid out of bed careful not to step on Amber's arms and legs, as they were everywhere, and Jamie's long blonde hair strewn across the floor. I made it to the window seat. Slowly I sat on my knees in front of the window and opened it just enough for me to get through. once I had gotten out I grabbed a thick stick from the windowsill (obviously I've done this before), closed the window almost all the way and stuck the stick in between the window and the sill so it wouldn't close.

Quietly I made my way down the fire escape ladder towards the woods. I knew the path well and there was no need for a flashlight. After about 5 minutes of walking I reached the stream. Carefully I followed it up to where a tree had fallen across it. Slowly but surely I made my way across it to the rock. I bent down under the ledge and grabbed the box. I placed it on the rock and opened it, grabbing a battery and lightbulb which i had wired together and s bottle of water. I placed the box back under the ledge and finished attaching to wires causing the lightbulb to light up. I grabbed my water bottle and sat down next to the light watching its reflections in the stream.

Why do I have to go to Grandma's she doesn't even like me. I need to be here with Paige. I thought to myself. We didn't really talk in person when we were sick but I wont be able to talk to her at all from Grandma's she has no wifi at her house and even though Im sixteen I don't have service, so I cant even tell her get better soon if I go to Grandma's. I got it. I'll fake being sick and then that way I can stay at home and text Paige all I want. Perfect now all I had to do was put my plan into action.

I slid down the rock and began to pack my stuff up when i heard a twig snap. In the entire time I have lived here and been to this rock I have heard millions of twigs snap and after the first 500 or so I quit paying attention to them. She made her way back to the house climbed in through the window and back into bed. She fell asleep within twenty minutes or so.

-------------------------------------------------------------
AN: this is not my first story. FYI this is my first horror story. I would love for feedback. And any suggestions to make it more horror like. This chapter and most of the next are not horror but it will get there I promise. The reason I wrote this book is I like to read books like it but I was tired of not getting what I wanted so hear is what I wanted. Enjoy!