Chapter Two: Jaci

Jaci still wasn't sure how they convinced the boys to leave with them, but after the twins' house burned down, they almost seemed eager to get out of town. On one condition: that the girls tell them the truth.

Two hours later the city was behind them and the forest engulfed them once again. The boys didn't say much as Jaci and Amanda told them their story. Of course they didn't mention anything that had happened to Sara. That was Sara's business, if she wanted anyone to know.

And Callie. They had left out Callie.

As night fell, Jaci crept over to a grove of trees and kicked leaves and branches out of the way so they could sleep. The moonlight barely illuminated a smooth rock, perfect for sitting. She glanced behind her but didn't see anyone else yet. Opening her bag, she pulled out the flashlight and the Bible she'd taken from the church they'd stopped at last week.

She hesitated a moment, knowing they were supposed to be conserving batteries. She stared at the book, feeling very alone. She'd never been able to communicate her feelings with Amanda, and lately Sara was too absorbed with her own issues to notice Jaci's. Not that Jaci blamed her...but it was strange to be in constant company of her friends and feel so isolated.

How she missed Callie. Her dear friend, her best friend. Always ready with a listening ear, comforting words, even indignation when necessary.

She could hear Sara and the twins laughing. Sara hadn't laughed in weeks. Jaci was happy to hear her laugh, but still, why hadn't shebeen able to open up to Jaci? Did Sara blame her somehow for this predicament?

She rubbed her temples and opened the book. Turning on the flashlight,she tried to concentrate on the words, but too many thoughts ran through her mind. She could hear the boys talking now.

Was it even good for Sara to be alone with boys? What if she suddenly freaked out and had a panic attack? Or was she trying to show how well she'd recovered?

Too many questions. Jaci closed the book and lay down in the dirt, trying to get comfortable. She pretended to be asleep when Sara approached.Sara lay down without a word, and soon her breathing was soft and heavy. Jaci wished she could join her. A tree root dug into her shoulder blade and she scooted sideways. Voices neared, male and female whispering. Amanda giggled. Jaci squeezed her eyes tighter and willed herself to be asleep.

#

Jaci fished around in the bag, searching for the empty container she had dumped there days ago. The log she sat on moved slightly, and she lifted her head to study the boy who had sat down next to her. Her eyes drifted to his neckline. No black shirt. Which meant it was Neal.

"We need to talk," he said, scratching his head.

"Sure." Her hands closed on something rectangular, and she smiled in triumph. "Amanda! Come over here, I found it!"

She lifted her eyes and spotted Amanda a few feet away, standing next to Ricky. He leaned against a tree, twirling a stick over and over again in his hands. Jaci felt bad for him. Amanda had followed him around like a puppy dog since they had met the day before.

"Great," Amanda said, her voice less than enthusiastic. She picked up the bag at her feet and approached Jaci. "Where's Sara? Isn't she supposed to have the water?"

Ricky looked up from his stick. "I'll find her."

"Hurry," Neal called to him. "I want to talk. All of us."

Jaci shot a glance at Neal and then took the bag Amanda offered her. What was up? They had shared their story yesterday. She pulled the small white bag of flour out of Amanda's bag and shook some of its contents into the plastic container.