Chapter Three: Ricky

"Ricky."

Ricky looked up from where he was bent over a fallen branch, using it to support himself while he flicked a bug off of his jeans. He frowned when he saw Amanda, but his irritation changed to concern when he saw her face. Her eyes were puffy as if she'd cried all night. No guy could remain firm when faced with a crying girl. "What's wrong? Are you and Sara still fighting?"

Neal shouldered the orange backpack and glanced over at them. Amanda stole at look toward him and ducked her head, hiding her face. "Can we go somewhere and talk?"

"Sure." Ricky motioned for her to lead the way, and he followed her through the forest.

She walked until they were out of earshot, and then turned to face him. She folded her arms across her chest. "I need to know where I stand."

Oh, no. Not this conversation. He avoided her eyes and looked around the wooded area. Spotting a rotting log, he sat down and patted his palms together a few times. Then he looked up at Amanda, squinting against the sunlight that dappled through the tree leaves. "We just met. Shouldn't we wait a bit to figure this out?"

She glared down at him. "Timing has nothing to do with it. I thought there was something going on between us. But it seems there's more going on between you and Sara than you and me."

In spite of himself, Ricky laughed, and then regretted it when he saw Amanda's face. "Hey, sorry," he said, spreading his hands. "It's just that you're completely wrong. It's not what you think. She's like a kid sister."

Amanda's expression softened. "Really?"

He nodded, raising an eyebrow. Ricky stood up. "So, does that settle everything?"

Amanda shook her head. She sidled up to him and pressed her hand to his chest, warming his flesh through the sweater. "No. You haven't told me how you feel for me."

His heartbeat quickened, responding to her nearness. He put his hand on top of hers, intending to remove it, but he didn't. He squeezed her fingers. "I like you. You're pretty. Come on, Amanda. Let's just have fun."

"I can be fun." Amanda closed the distance between them and pressed her mouth to his.

Ricky was caught by surprise, but not for long. One arm went around Amanda's back, and the other hand went behind her head. He kissed her back, quickly warming to the activity. He hitched her closer, his hands moving from her neck and back to her hips. A seed of desired sparked and grew in his navel, and only Amanda taking a step back brought the rush of hormones to a heady stop.

He laughed softly. "I was not expecting that."

Amanda smiled and took his hand. "I can offer you a lot more."

He shook his head. I bet you could. He told himself to let go of her hand, that he shouldn't lead her on. But the thought of more kisses like that, more physical distractions, was too tempting. He didn't let go.