「02」

—2—「In Which Tyler is in America Again」

—2—
「In Which Tyler is in America Again」

Ouran was no joke. The high school I was at before wasn't even a tenth of this place. Everywhere I turned, I found a new hallway filled with different rooms I hadn't seen before. I realized they had more than five of each classroom—libraries, gymnasiums, even kitchens used for culinary classes—and every time I felt like I was getting somewhere, I'd end up in a janitor's closet or one of the seven infirmaries. It was crazy!

To make matter's worse, there were so many students. Every room had to have at least a hundred people in them now that classes were over for the day, and their eyes immediately found me, muttering amongst themselves quietly as soon as I peeked in. I guess it was weird for them, seeing an American walking around in typical American clothes—the black leggings and flip-flops were literally the only thing I had cleaned since Uncle Wes hadn't decided to do laundry yet, and I had to settle for one of his oversized button-ups until the rest of my clothes came in. Besides, while I respected Japan and its culture, there was no way I could afford the dress assigned as the girls' uniform (and I wouldn't really want to wear such an ugly yellow color anyway.)

After a few more sets of stairs, though, and some help from a staff member (can you believe it? A staff member—in a school!), I managed to stand outside of the golden doors to Music Room 3.

At least, I thought it was Music Room 3, but when I opened the doors, I was suddenly back in America.

Except it wasn't even America—more like a stereotype of New York. The normal tables had been replaced with round glass tables, white tablecloths on every other one, and the chairs were some fancy suede: a beautiful beige color, but nothing like what was at an everyday coffee shop. The windows had been painted to look like it was overlooking some balcony in the middle of the city: tall building in the distance lit it up, complete with Lady Liberty on the horizon.

I stared at it all with wide eyes.

"Welcome~" came a familiar chorus.

The hosts stood in the middle of the room, right in between a group of tables. Tamaki, the prince of the club, was wearing a navy-blue Letterman jacket that had brown-colored sleeves, completed with black dress pants and matching brown loafers. Hikaru and Kaoru were both dressed in plaid shirts—though Hikaru's was blue and Kaoru's was pink—with dark-rinse jeans and a pair of Vans. Hani was in a simple white tee that had a cute pink bunny printed on the front and a pair of black shorts, while Mori went more of the athletic route: a grey muscle shirt, a pair of black Nike shorts, and Air Jordan's on his feet. Haruhi, thankfully, had a white tee with a letter jacket over it, like a stereotypical football player. Her dark-rinse jeans did match the twin's, which I'm sure she was thrilled about, but she had a pair of Converse on instead of Vans.

Off to the side, like yesterday, Kyoya was leaning against the counter. He was dressed rather normally all things considered. Instead of the uniform, he was wearing a dark striped long-sleeve and a pair of boot-cut jeans. The Blucher oxford shoes he was wearing were a little too formal for the outfit, but strangely fit him anyway.