Chapter 5: Acquiring Allies

Start from the beginning

The mood was infectious and many seated around the table were smiling at Ruslan and Cindy's reaction to the news. One could easily make the mistake that the perpetual winter that hung over Kenmard was already dispelled.

"We should go!" Cindy blurted, looking to King Arthur and Merlin. "My uncle and I should be the ones to talk to President Kislav."

"He'd listen to two fellow Kennish over two Avalonians any day," Ruslan added.

"Selvina can come too!" Cindy said excitedly. She glanced from Merlin to Selvina and back again repeatedly. "We aren't doing anything until spring anyway. We could sail to Kenmard, convince the President to join our side of the war, wait out the worst of the winter, and then come back before the army marches out! It'll be fun!"

Selvina couldn't help but smile at her joyful friend. She didn't even live in Kenmard anymore and yet the news of the giving the country back its four seasons seemed to excite her above all else. "I would love to join you, Cindy," she said, meaning every word.

The young teen seemed ready to burst with happiness before she launched herself on Selvina and hugged her tightly. "Thank you, Selvina, for everything. Thanks to you my country can be happy again."

Selvina hugged back, taken aback at the show of emotion. "You do realize that Kenmard will go to war if it chooses sides, don't you? People will die."

"Yes, but they'll die for a better Kenmard. Mother used to tell me tales her own grandparents would tell her about the stories their grandparents would tell them about the beauty of Kenmard in summer. It was unlike anything else in Faeryum and I've always wanted to see it. Now there's a chance that I can. I know it doesn't sound like much, but Kenmard is my home, even if I grew up mostly seeing its ugly side. Because of you, I can see how truly beautiful it can be."

The two girls pulled away from their hugs, both not caring about the faces looking their way. The oldest of the two then said, "I honestly didn't do anything, Cindy. I didn't even bring up the idea. And your president might not want anything to do with the war."

"We'll convince him," Ruslan said with determination, looking to Selvina and then Merlin. "He isn't the smartest of men but even he will want the snow to finally melt. Knowing that he was in power when it happened should be enough to sway him our way."

"I do hope so," said Merlin. "This brings us back to Midae, however. Since Captain Ruslan and his niece will attempt to persuade Kenmard to join our cause that suggests that we send several others to Midae. The Midaean council of nobles will want someone with distinction and someone they can trust and, preferably, someone who is Midaen."

All eyes went to Robin Hood. He, as well as Red, had grown up in Midae's Old Forest and had many adventures in the wilds and countryside of that eastern kingdom. Though Robin Hood now called New Avalon home, his roots would forever be in Midae.

The general cleared his throat, appearing slightly overwhelmed by all the intense gazes. "I do not claim to be a skilled speaker, though I will take the honour grudgingly. All that I ask is that I may speak to my sister about this. She is far more...um, famous, than I am in Midae. The council may want a more familiar face than mine to speak to."

Merlin nodded. "I see nothing wrong with that."

Queen Marian glared at Robin and smacked his shoulder. "Excuse me? You're going to leave me now? How am I going to last all winter without..." Marian blinked, catching herself. "What if we are attacked while you are gone? I need you here."

"You have King Arthur and his army, Marian," Robin consoled. "You will be just fine. Train some of the new recruits. I hear they could use a bit of discipline."

"There should be a representative of Avalon to accompany you, General Hood," said King Arthur. "It is Avalon that is allied with Midae, after all, and not New Avalon."

"I will go," Lancelot said, coming to attention and raising his hand. "But only if his delightful sister comes along as well."

Robin narrowed his eyes at the knight and appeared to use great effort to nod. "If there is no one else willing to come along I suppose I can agree to this."

"There is great merit in having Sir Lancelot with you," King Arthur said with a shrug. "He is of high standing and his presence alone may persuade the nobles to listen to your pleas."

"Or if his sister dropped that ugly red cloak of hers," Lancelot muttered. "That would get their attention indeed."

Selvina watched Robin Hood tense his muscles and clench his hands into fists. It was plain to see that Robin, and possibly Red's, journey to Midae would not be as enjoyable as her journey to Kenmard with Cindy and Ruslan. She hoped, if Red went along, that she didn't kill Lancelot before they arrived. On the other hand, Robin may beat her to it.

King Arthur cleared his throat loudly, easing the tension slightly and gathering everyone's attention. "Thus, we end this council on a more hopeful note than it began. Before the last ships leave the port, we shall send Captain Ruslan, Cinderella, and Selvina, with a retinue of guards and an Avalonian representative, of course, to Kenmard with the aim to end its neutrality and persuade its president to join us against the empress. Meanwhile, General Robin Hood, Sir Lancelot, and perhaps Red Riding Hood, will sail to Midae in an attempt to convince the council of nobles, taking the late King Midas' place, to send us ships, soldiers, supplies, and any other aid they can spare. During all of this, we will continue to ready ourselves for the spring campaign and prepare for war against Empress Rhiannon and her forces."

And with that, the council was ended.