six

Mine and Harry's eyes never unlocked. I looked down, my gaze taking note of the little distance between us. I let out a nervous breath and backed up until I hit the bathroom wall, turned to the door and walked out.

We were so close to each other. I could practically feel his body heat. I needed to get out of here and fast. I hear him sigh loudly as I make my way downstairs. I pass what seems to be the kitchen and I look to see if the exit is anywhere close by. My eyes land on a bay window, my parents' cars being able to be seen. But my eyes fall down to a brown, beat up journal laying opened on the cushion, a copy of The Great Gatsby also laying next to a pencil. My brows furrow in confusion. It seemed almost planned, a copy of the exact book I finished not too long ago.

I then direct my attention to the unfinished picture drawn on the page the journal is open to. A window on a second story is vaguely drawn, along with a large oak tree stretching above. My eyes dart to my window outside the glass. The picture was too similar-too detailed-to be a coincidence. A mixed feeling of uneasiness and enlightenment washed over me; I couldn't decide if I was pleased or put off.

My body jumps as if I've done something guilty when I hear Harry descending down the stairs quickly. I hastily find my way to the front door and grab the abandoned grocery bags, quickly opening the door before Harry can stop me.

-//-

"Where were you?" My mum demanded an answer as I shut the door behind me. The sun was just beginning to set and I hadn't realized I'd been out that long. I pass her to put the groceries on the kitchen table.

"The neighbour's." I answered simply, without thinking. There was nothing I wanted to do more than to take back the sentence I just said. My mother narrowed her eyes at me, shifted her weight to one leg, and moved her hands to her hips.

"What exactly were you doing there?" She didn't process my weak excuse before she continued. "I do not want you to go over there anymore. Do you understand me?"

I didn't have the chance before my dad entered the conversation. My stomach dropped. My dad was never known to be an easy going person. I had to beg him to let Cody come for dinner when we started dating, Dad still doesn't fancy him.

"Where can't Ellie go?" He asked, his voice booming. I shuddered internally, not looking forward to what was ahead.

My mother turned to him, pleased to have a second opinion. "To that neighbour's of ours."

"Which neighbour?"

"The one right there." Mum pointed to make her point clear.

"His name is Harry, mother." I interjected quietly.

"I don't see the harm in her being over there. I'll allow her to go." My dad answered, leaving mum and I shocked. I couldn't process the argument heating up between them with my mind buzzing.

My mum instructed me to go upstairs while they 'talked', but I figured there was a lot less screaming involved in talking.

"I am not having my daughter become an open candidate for rape!" The sides went back and forth and, being fed up, I decided to get away from the constant yelling and go outside.

The only option was my window; the front door being off-limits at the moment. I pushed it opened and climbed onto a branch that stood out on the big oak tree between mine and Harry's house. I walked to another branch and made myself comfortable, not planning to go back inside until apologies were given.

Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I dialed Cody's number, intent on explaining things to him. The line rang a few times and, begrudgingly, Cody answered the phone, giving me a harsh 'what' on the other end.