one

The window was not a comfortable place to rest. I would usually lay along the entire back seat in the family car, but the stack of boxes prevented so. Moving was not a pleasurable activity. My mother and father engaged in light conversation in front of me. I couldn't really focus, we'd been driving for what felt like hours upon hours-when it had only been a few-and I couldn't find a comfortable position to rest in.

My thoughts came to a halt when we pulled up in front of a gorgeous house. It was more than my parents promised we'd arrive to. But no house could fill the feeling of emptiness in me. I wanted nothing more to wrap my arms around Cody and have a sleepover with my old friends.

But that was over now and it did no good to dwell on things I couldn't change. I grabbed the bags of mine and followed my dad into the massive house. This house seemed too big for our little family of three and it didn't compare to the one back home. It was undoubtedly beautiful.

The moving van pulled up in our driveway and the movers jumped out, pulling stuff out of the boot. My dad instructed them where to put the furniture. I slowly ascended up the stairs to find a room that I fancied. A small room, not too far from the stairs was in front of me. I moved to a seat connected to the window with plush cushions covering it. The window was mainly blocked by a large oak tree, but I could see the neighbour's house that was equally as beautiful as ours.

"Ellie? Could you help carry boxes inside? Those movers have no idea what they're doing." I looked back to see my mother at the doorway. Lines etched her forehead, from stress I supposed.

Nodding, I followed my mum outside. She seemed really tense, and I figured moving across the country was the cause. Not many boxes belonged to me, but I got what was mine. I felt eyes on me and looked around to meet the eyes of who I guessed was my neighbor.

A young guy, maybe in his twenties, gave me his full attention. The water hose in his hand slowly stopped spraying water as his grip on the handle slackened. The lad had dark curly hair and large muscles that protruded from his t-shirt. His gaze didn't break from me and I was beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable so I scurried into the house.

-//-

The remainder of the night was spent unpacking and rearranging things. I eventually gave up, sitting on my window seat and staring out of my door. From my room, I could see the whole entryway. My parents stood in the kitchen, their voices in loud whispers. I could hear bits and pieces of their conversation.

"You know I don't like this house, Greg." My mother admitted, a sigh emitting from her. Why wouldn't she like this house? It's gorgeous.

"We have no other options, Carol. Every other house we looked at was way out of our price range." My dad sounded stressed, like he's explained this numerous times. "My hands are tied."

"This house is below our price range." What was she talking about? The value of this had to be massive. "And you know exactly why." Her voice was raised; she sounded angry.

"Would you be quiet? Ellie can't know." At this point I was concerned. Not wanting to blow my cover, I slowly inched closer to my door, hoping to hear a little better.

"I know, I know." I imagined my mum rubbing her temples, a habit she couldn't quite shake off. Cupboards were opened and shut and I pictured her making tea to calm her nerves. She got flustered easily.

More sides of the conversation were spoken, but I couldn't make them out properly.

I decided to venture closer to the stairs.

"I'm only scared for us. This neighborhood is far from safe. You said you'd make this house safe for us, Greg. Where's the high tech security unit? Or the double padlocks?" My mum was always known to be stubborn, I had gotten that trait from her. She wouldn't let my dad get away with whatever it was.

My dad sighed, obviously giving up. "They'll get installed soon enough. You have to trust me, Care." I heard a sound that told me that they just kissed. "Let's go out for dinner tonight, just the two of us, yeah? We can go to that place that caught your eye on the Plaza." My mum giggled and I assumed she agreed. This was my cue to interrupt.

"What's for dinner?" I asked casually. Jumping up to sit on the island that sat in the middle of the kitchen, I smiled at the two of them. "I was thinking we could order Chinese, so none of us have to cook."

Mum smiled at me. "Actually," she looked over at my dad, "your father and I were going to go out tonight."

"Without me?" I pretended to be upset. They explained how they needed and would appreciate some alone time, which almost made me gag. I all but pushed them out of our large double doors. When they were finally gone, I decided to take a walk, despite the long lecture they left me before they left; no parties, no drinking, no sex, and absolutely no leaving.

The little trust they have for their only daughter baffles me. No parties wouldn't be a problem seeing as I know no one. No drinking because I never have. And no sex because I've never done anything remotely close.

But all of the dangerous talk about the neighborhood from my parents only inspired me to leave sooner. I had to understand what they were talking about, and what better way than to find out myself? Throwing on a light jacket as I shut the door and locked it behind me, I followed the pavement under my feet.

What could be so bad about this place? Most, if not all, of the houses were divinely sculptured into beautiful almost mansions. BMWs and Mercedes were parked in almost every driveway, and the hedges were perfectly trimmed. This was my dream neighborhood, where I'd want my kids to grow up and ride bikes.

My thoughts came to a halt, as did my feet, when I heard a voice behind me. "You need to go back inside."