four

How could he possibly know my name? I mean, I've only talked to him once, and we didn't exchange names.

My feet carry me backwards in horror. I don't so much as glance at them before turning around and sprinting to my house.

But when I make it to my door, I turn to look at them. The words that come out of Richard's mouth send many hair raising chills down my spine.

"See ya soon, sweetheart."

-//-

I made my way downstairs after finishing the book that's taken up most of my time this past week; The Great Gatsby.

I came to the revelation that sad endings were not my forte.

It was Friday, two days after the incident with the arse down the street. Everything about that day still confused me, but I thought it best not to question it.

My parents both stayed in late for work, leaving me alone in this house. Neither of the two suspected I knew a thing about the area.

Looking over the note plastered on the fridge, I saw the list of groceries my mum wanted me to pick up for her. It didn't surprise me when she wrote 'be careful', emphasised in bold letters and underlined many times.

With a heavy sigh, I grab my bag and lock the door from the inside.

After making my way to the grocery store, I picked out everything my mum wanted, checked out, and carried the few bags out.

My feet made crunch noises as they hit the concrete sidewalk in front of the beautiful houses in the neighbourhood.

On my way to the store I had ran past my neighbours, greatly appreciating the fact that I had worn wind shorts and a t-shirt, the attire not causing me any trouble while I hurried past all of the sex offender's homes.

But now I had grocery bags weighing me down, so I did my best to speed walk back.

I had been relieved that I had made it passed Richards place without causing a scene, but I am the one for always jinxing myself.

"Hello, sweetheart."

My body turns to see a very beat up Richard. His face had various sizes of cuts, and a little white bandage across the bridge of his nose. I mostly noticed the huge black bruise on his shiny head, a stitched up gash in the middle of it. His crusty lips turned up in a smirk before I turned around to run.

The bags fell from my fingers as Richard's hand wrapped around my waist, pulling my body back into his. My scream was cut short when another grimy hand wrapped around my mouth, my hands fly up to grip the one around my mouth. My eyes screw shut in pain when Richard's fingers dig into my hip bone.

"Now, now, sweetie. No need to scream. Right now, anyways."

A strangled cry leaves my mouth and into his hand. No, no, no. This can't be happening. Panic rises in my stomach and the only thing I can think to do is kick my foot backwards and into his crotch.

A heavy cry comes from him as he slides to the concrete in pain. Completely forgetting the groceries, I sprint down the sidewalk to my house.

I don't even glance at Harry's house as I make my way past to my front door. My hand searches in my bag for my keys, but they aren't there. My gasps for air get louder even though I've stopped running. Oh god, no. I hastily wipe the tears off of my face before I search harder in my bag. My whole body goes rigid and I can feel all of the colour leave my body.

My house key is in my room.

I quickly look back down the sidewalk to see Richard's head snap up with insanely dark eyes. I feel like I'm in some paranormal movie.