Chapter 22

-Athena-

           "Damon?" I call throughout the storage garage. Of course Elijah put me in charge of retrieving our brothers body. Scoffing I call his name again, "Damon! This isn't funny."

             I walk down another hallway and stop at the end, "Da-" a hand wraps around my mouth. I look up and see Damons worried expression.

             "He's inside," He mutters lowly. My stomach lurches. This may be the only chance I have to get my brother out of here before Alaric kills him.

             "We need to move him," I whisper and make my way towards the shed number my brother resides.

             Walking quietly I slip the storage gate up. The smooth black coffin lays in the middle of rubbish and old materials. I roll it out of its place and make my way towards the car, "I don't think so," Alaric's voice speaks. He's suddenly smacking me into the wall. To my horror, he opens the coffin and shoves a white oak stake through my brothers heart.

"Niklaus!" I screech and fall to my knees.

-Flashback-

"Why are the sheets not cleaned yet child?" Father asks. My frightened twelve year old self looks over at him.

"I'm sorry father. I got a cut on my leg, I was in the woods and-" He raises a hand. I flinch away.

"I have told you those woods are forbidden! What were you doing?" He demands, "Spit it out!"

"I was practicing with a sword. It wasn't a big deal. Father, I was careful. It was just fun-" My words are silenced by his hand slapping my face.

"There is no time for fun. We fight to survive and you find the time to just take a break and have, fun?" He takes a step closer and I cower away, "I ought to teach you what fun really is." His hand is about to come in constant with my cheek once again, but when I look up, Niklaus is holding his arm.

"Father, she's just a girl. She didn't mean for it. She was just-" Our father pushes him and grabs his wrist harshly.

"You intervene when I am teaching her what the world really is? You're going to regret you were ever born, boy!" He drags Niklaus out of the room.

                    I look at the spot my brother just sacrificed himself for me. Father could have easily taken his anger out on me, but Niklaus and his pure intentions saved my life. As I washed the sheets and dried them, my entire body would cringe at the sound of Niklaus' yells of pain. We all knew what was happening. It's just that none of us knew how to stop it.

-Flashback Ends-

                  "Athena, go! Now!" Damon yells and pushes me away from the scene. I take one final glance at my brother burning corpse and speed away.

                  "Elijah?!" I scream with tears in my eyes, "Elijah, it's Niklaus."

                   My phone rings, "Athena, I'm so sorry," The veins grow underneath my eyes.

                   "No, Elena, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I listened to my brother and didn't kill you when I had the chance. This is your fault. If everybody in this god awful town weren't so hell bent on keeping you human, Niklaus may still be alive!" I scream at the useless human from the other line. I end the call and throw my phone across the forest.

                  "Athena," I turn around and meet Elijah's gaze. My eyes hold the answer to the unspoken question. Is Niklaus really dead?

                 Burying my face into his suit he wraps his arms around me, "He's gone Elijah. He's really gone this time."

                  "It's ok, this wasn't your fault. It was the history teacher," Elijah mumbles. His voice sounds chocked up, like he's about to cry.

                 "He died thinking I hated him. I told him myself that I'd hate him always and forever. Oh god, I can't take it back. He'll never know that I-" Elijah shushes me by bringing me back into a hug.

                 "There is only one way to end our mothers creation," Elijah states and we walk towards the road, "His life is linked with Elena's. If she dies..."

                "He dies too. Call Rebekah, tell her to meet me at Wickery Bridge," I sniffle and rub my eyes.

-------------------
-Athena-

"What are we doing here? We should be killing that doppelgänger bitch!" Rebekah complains and sits down on the railing.

"We are!" I exclaim and point to the headlights moving in our direction, "That's Matt and Elena on their way home to see Stefan before his final moments. That's if Niklaus was even their blood sire." We'd all figured out that any vampire my family had turned would die if the bloodline they were apart of was killed.

"Alright, they're coming. Let's do it," Rebekah smiles at the car, "This is for our brother."

"For Nik." We watch as the car runs straight off of the bridge and I let the tears run down my face.

"For him."