Chapter 16

-Athena-

                "Niklaus! Why have you called me back to this ratchet town? I was doing just fine living in California!" My feet pound on the hard wood.

"You may be interested in what we have to say," Rebekah appears and shows me a video.

"Good for you, you nearly killed Elena," I roll my eyes looking at the documentary. She had recorded the whole time she was on standby to kill the dopplebitch.

"Look at the drawings," She points, "There! See that! It's the symbol for the white oak tree."

"We burned that tree to the ground!" I exclaim impatiently.

"But this drawing was made after we had fled the old world. So there must have been another tree," She looks at me, "That wood is somewhere in Mystic Falls. Or god knows where else. We need to find it and destroy it."

"I knew this town was a death trap," I mutter, "I'll talk to Mayor Lockwood about the trees in Mystic Falls. She's bound to have a record of it somewhere. I can meet her at the Grill for lunch," I suggest and walk off to call the Mayor.

-----------------
-Athena-

"Carol, I'm very grateful that you're doing this. As the head of the Preservation Society you'd be a good person to ask about the oldest trees here in Mystic Falls," My voice is sickly-sweet.

                          "A long line of Lockwood women kept records of those trees. Back before any of them had actual jobs," I let out a fake chuckle.

                          "My siblings have been to the founders archive, by I can't seem to find the tree I'm looking for," I explain.

                            "It probably got cut down. Most of the trees in Mystic Falls were used to build the town in the 1900's," Carol informs. My ears perk at the sound of the Salvatore brothers.

                            I smirk at Damon and look back at Carol, "Do you happen to know who owned the milling ledges during that time period?" I ask.

                            "Back then the logging mills were owned by the Salvatore's," She states. I glance over at the brothers sitting at the bar.

                            "You don't say," I lean back in my seat, "Thank you for the meeting Carol, but I think I've just found my answer." She smiles and leaves the Grill.

                          I stalk over to the brothers and listen to their conversation, "They were all part of the founders counsel, Damon. That's what they had in common," Stefan states irritably. I'm sure they were going over the cases of murders happening all over the place.

                          "But why them? Bryan Walters, and Alaric weren't even from a founding family. I mean hey, if you're going to slaughter council members, at least go A-list," He smirks, "At least the 1912 they killed a Salvatore," Damon pours himself a drink.

                          "Which Salvatore might that be?" They both turn around and meet my gaze.

                              ------------------
-Athena-

                            "So Zachariah Salvatore was your nephew," I conclude. They had been telling me a bit of Salvatore family history.

                          "Our father knocked up one of the maids during the civil war. She had a son, but of course, Stefan and I were already dead. Family legacy and all. Needed an heir to the bloody Salvatore crown," Damon exasperates.

                           "And your family owned the logging mills that the time?" I slide in my question.

                           "You ask a lot of question, baby Klaus," Damon eyes me suspiciously. I roll my eyes at the nickname. I was not a baby version of Klaus.

                           "I'm just curious. After all I did grow up here, and why not pick up the history from two great friends in the 1800's," I smile.

                           "You know, you don't have to hide your true motives. If you want to ride the Damon train again, you just gotta ask," Damon winks.

                           "Sorry, not enough liquor in the world," I sigh dramatically.

                           "Oh come on, the sex was too great for you to be acting this angry," He pouts.

                             Stefan pushes out his chair and walks to sit somewhere else, "What's got little Steffy all hurt?"

                           "You'll have to excuse him. He's jonesing for something more positive."

                         "I'm not jonesing," Stefan deflects.

                          "What? Was your morning cup of blood too sour?"

                          "More like he didn't have the morning cup of coffee," Damon rolls his eyes.

                          "So did they catch the killer? In 1912 I mean?" I ask.

                         "Nope, wrote it all off as vampires," He states.

                        "And what if it was?" I tease.

                       "Ya Damon, what if it was?" Stefan asks suspiciously.

"Don't think that you didn't cross my mind either, but they weren't your style. Besides there were no other vampires circulating in Mystic Falls," Damon points out.

                           "There was one. Remember Sage?" Stefan asks. I instantly picture the redhead that Finn was in love with once upon a time.

                           "Oh ya, Sage," He smirks, "Speaking of great sex," He takes a swig of his vodka.

"I knew a Sage once. She was a trashy little thing. Had the hots for my brother, Finn."

"Do you really think it was Sage killing all of those people?" Damon asks.

"Everyone thought that it was a grown man committing the murders. It must not have occurred to them that a woman could be doing it," Stefan replied.

"So tell me more about your relatives. Didn't they make this town up with half of the woods at the time?" I pry, hoping not to sound too suspicious.

I go to grab the next vodka bottle from the bar tender, but Damon snatches it. "Sorry little Mikaelson, but this is brother bonding night. Last time I checked, you weren't invited. It's been fun, but you better skedaddle," He says. Stefan raises his eyebrows and follows Damon towards the dart board.