Chapter 34: Plan B

Start from the beginning

Bettie sets her book to the side. "Why?" 

"I'm dressing up as a clown." 

"You're - you're doing what?" For one second, Bettie's defense fades. Her lips curve up, as if she's about to smile, but it vanishes as quickly as it comes. "It's still a no." 

"I'm going to stand in the shadows and scare people. Come on, help out a fellow cousin." 

There's a little bit of blood coming out now. I ignore it and pinch my nose harder.  

"You want me to help you scare children on a few nights before Christmas," Bettie questions, stretching her legs out in front of her. "Are you crazy?" 

"Okay, I'm not scaring children," I sigh. "Just Archer." 

The same scowl is back on her face. "You and Archer are supposed to friends. Why are you trying to scare him?" 

"It's what our friendship is about," I whine. "Scaring each other. Last time, he kidnapped my teddy bear so I'm getting revenge. Listen, if you won't give me your outfit, just say so - I can probably raid grandmother's closet -" 

 "That's a suicide mission," Bettie scoffs, reaching into her suitcase and pulling out the hideous piece of fabric. She flings it to me. I catch it with the hand that's not bloody. "Just take the thing and go. And do something about your nose. It's grossing me out."  

"Thanks, owe you one!" I chirp and then hurry off to the bathroom to treat my nose

After that annoying task is finished, I begin to work on my outfit. Putting on my makeup to resemble a Pennywise-like creature is actually a lot of fun. Maybe I should do it more often. And wear it to school. 

I wonder if there's some dress code against that.

It isn't until Melody starts hammering away at my door that I realize I took three hours to complete my costume.  I reapply my third layer of bright red lipstick, then swing the door open. 

"Finally, you took forever - oh my god! What is that? What are you wearing?" Melody's wide eyes and dropped jaw makes me smile in satisfaction. 

"I'm being festive! See?" I do a little twirl.

"You're a clown."

"They didn't specify what type of event they wanted us to be festive for," I toss my glittery hair over my shoulders. 

"I'm pretty sure they implied it," Melody eyes my costume one more time and shivers. "Don't tell me you're wearing Bettie's clothes." 

"I wanted to make this outfit extra scary." 

She shivers. "You're crazy." 

"It runs in the family," I flick in her on the forehead, then strut downstairs. 

My confidence wanes once I see that everybody's gathered in the family room. It's going to be embarrassing to go down there with this clown outfit on, but it's a sacrifice that I must complete in order to get rid of my crush on Archer.

As expected, mom's the first one to scream. Dad and James jump at the sight of me, but manage to gasp only a little. It's silent for a few seconds, then they burst into laughter. 

Aunt Sue shakes her head in disbelief, not even looking at me as she continues to stack the gingerbread cookies into a cookie jar. Even Bettie's lips quirk a little, but then she turns away and pretends not to notice me.