Summer Love Potion

I was slipping on blades of grass as my feet quickly carried me away from my older brother, Thomas, and my best friend Dree. Both boys were quite fast and nearly caught me several times but I was smaller and therefore I was lighter and carried more speed. My short auburn hair was sticking to my head from sweat and my tank top was clinging to my back, but Thomas and Dree looked as if the heat wasn't bothering them. Finally I doubled over gasping for breath when I felt a slap on my back and Dree leaned closed to my ear ,as I was coughing for air, and whispered "Got ya Polly" I let my almost grey eyes look into his brown ones and I frowned "Fine Dree you and Thomas win, you can go fishing alone" I say the words as if they are bitter to my mouth and honestly they are. I always spend my summer with Dree and Thomas ever since I was old enough to walk, I am 13 and Dree is 14 and Thomas is 15, we have always been a group. I watch the boys walk away, Dree just a inch taller than Thomas with his black curls sticking to his head and Thomas with his auburn hair just a little bit darker than mine. I looked back at our tired house painted in a light blue and with its limp flowers in the flower bed. I open the door and walk upstairs to mine and Thomas's room. I look under my pillow for my diary.

Dear Diary May 25
Well it finally happened, Thomas and Dree left me alone to go fishing. Dree was my friend first, my first best friend. Without Dree the only other person I am close with is Thomas and the only other friend I have is Kate and she is way to boring. Dree is special to me

Love Polly

I set the diary back under my pillow and closed my eyes, Dree was special to me and Thomas keeps taking him from me! When I finally stopped sulking about being alone the first day of summer I got off of my bed and stompped down stairs into the kitchen where Mama was cooking supper. "Mama what do you do if you think you like someone but you can't tell them?"

"Well Polly I guess you drop little hints, why does my baby girl have a crush?"

"Who has a crush? Polly is it you?" My 18 year old sister Maya came into the room and sat down at the table beside me. I shook my head "No Kate likes this boy and I keep telling her to tell him but she doesn't want to risk it" I glance between Mama and Maya to see if their buying this. They gave me knowing looks before going on with whatever they were doing before. Dree and Thomas came in muddy and laughing. "Polly you wanna come next time? It was pretty fun!" Dree says sitting beside me. I huff and turn away from him. I want to look back and see what his reaction was but I know better. I continue to ignore the boys while we ate supper. Dree was staying the night with Thomas and that meant I would have to at least keep the 'cold shoulder' act going for a while longer. Thomas was sleeping on the couch and Dree was showering when I decided to go to bed. I pulled my shirt and shorts off grabbing a night shirt. The door to our room was opened and Dree stood there in nothing but a towel, my mouth dropped and I felt heat rise in my cheeks as I noticed his eyes skim over my body before he quickly left the room. I pulled the shirt on and climbed into bed. I was in total darkness when I heard Dree set his sleeping bag in the floor. "Goodnight Polly"