1.6

Chapter Six:

Emblym didn't know where she was exactly. It took her hours before she finally saw a road sign and was able to get off this seriously strange never-ending road with this gloom around her head. She was still carrying the blood red axe, which strangely felt like she was carrying a feather. She hadn't figured out how to change it back into her knife --- or literally anything other than this crazy axe.

Occasionally, a truck would drive down the roadway, and Emblym ducked behind the nearest thing she could find. This, however, was extremely hard since she had only seen a whopping total of five trees since she came out here.

The first sign she saw was a picture of a gas at the next exit, which was a few miles, meaning it took Emblym another hour before she actually got there.

Emblym stopped outside the perimeters of the gas station in order to catch her breath. The voices had been screaming at Emblym since she broke Hatter's barrier. Emblym sat down, clutching her skull, "Shut up for a minute!" She snapped at them, "I need your help. How do I get rid of this thing!?" Emblym demanded, referring to the axe.

Nobody answered her, "Listen!" She screamed, probably a lot louder than she would have pleased --- and in public too.

'In order to change its form, you must select a new one,' A thick, deep voice spoke.

"I've already tried that, doesn't work," Emblym muttered, rubbing her temples.

'You did not,' the voice scolded, annoyed with Emblym. 'If you did, you would not be asking us for guidance.' This made all the voices burst with laughter, and Emblym felt herself go red with anger. She growled, throwing the axe on the ground, and it clattered to the concrete.

"I need my knife!" Emblym snapped, shaking with anger. She didn't quite know why she was so angry, it could have been Hatter, or the Voices, or T-Dee, or herself. She was just angry, and the voices weren't helping it.

Emblym kicked the axe, but stumbled when it was gone. Staring at it in shock, she lookes around. The axe had disappeared, and was replaced with her knife.

Not wasting a second, Emblym picked up the knife and shoved it between her waistband, then she began to walk towards the gas station.

•♠️♣️♥️♦️•

Emblym began to realize something was very wrong as soon as she walked in the had station. Emblym didn't know what it was --- or could have been --- at first. Maybe she smelled bad, or she was sweaty from all that running. Maybe there was a piece of hat stuck in her hair after hiding behind hat stacks.

Then, her eyes roamed to a tiny television that was on beside a checkout counter. The young woman standing there was as white as a sheet. She had freckes and greasy blond hair, and she was staring at her, mouth opened wide.

Emblym looked at the television. It was a news channel, and her face was on it with a headline reading, 'Escaped Asylum Patient On The Loose!'

"Touch that phone," Emblym said, noticing the woman's hand reaching for a landline beside her. "And you will be eating your own fingers." The woman moved her clunky fingers away from the phone.

Emblym could practically hear her heart pounding with every fleeting second, and Emblym began to get nervous. She hadn't killed anyone in four years. She remembered how delicious the blood looked after she had killed her guidance counselor all those years ago.

Her voices realized this too and again they demanded bloodshed. This innocent woman's blood all over the pretty linoleum floors. How lovely it'll go with the white tiles.