1.1

Chapter One:

Emblym listened as her teacher drone on and on about the schoolwork assignment. Finish the essay that would be due this Friday, read a few pages in her textbook, nothing she couldn't handle.

Emblym looked across the room to the open window. The sky was grey, and the clouds dark. Once or twice a bird could be seen flying under it. It would definitely rain later, she thought to herself. Geez. She didn't bring a hoodie and didn't want to walk home in the rain. That'll—

Emblym felt as if someone — no, something — struck her across the face. She gasped, stars dancing across her eyes. She could hear the sound of hundreds of voices in her head. They were all yelling, all angry. As if she were in an angry mob and everyone was trying to be heard at once. Emblym couldn't focus on it, it all sounded like gibberish, and made her head hurt.

Emblym cried out in pain, causing the entire class to turn to her. Her hands grasping the ends of her desk, so she didn't fall on the floor. Slowly, the voices were clearing, but it still wasn't quite something she could understand. She needed to get out, too much noise, too much talking!

"Emblym?" Her teacher asked, but Emblym was already leaving. She launched herself from her desk, and headed for the door. Bolting down the hallway, Emblym went straight for the ladies' restroom. She sank to her knees in the corner next to a window.

"Shut up!" She hissed, agitation creeping in her tone. The voices didn't listen, they only got louder. Emblym could understand a few of them now.

'The bloody red queen has gone and past, time for the next to start her task,' sang a few in delirium. Bloody red queen?

"Quiet," Emblym said, her voice smaller now. "Please." The voices were clear with their answer this time.

'No!' They screamed, and Emblym winced.

'How dare you try to silence us!' A few snapped. 'Kill her!'

'Kill her! Kill her! Kill her...!' The chanted like a mantra, and Emblym's head throbbed, she was gasping, sweat and tears rolling down her face. Blood red tears.

Emblym heard footsteps and everything went silent. Emblym was breathing heavily, her eyes wide with fear. Someone's coming, she thought.

"Emblym?" Emblym recognized the voice — it was her school's counselor, Mrs. Glenda. She was a pudgy woman and always caked too much makeup on her pale, chunky face. Nobody likes the woman, she wasn't really helpful with any of the present matters in the school and only stepped in when she absolutely had to.

'Kill her! Kill her!' The voices shouted, 'Take her head! Off with her head!'

Emblym winced, "Shut up!" She hisses, but they didn't stop. If was almost like they couldn't stop. They continued to chant getting progressively louder until they were screaming. Emblym clutched her skull, the words bleeding into her thoughts.

"Emblym? It's Mrs. Glenda, are you alright?" Mrs. Glenda approached and Emblym felt something take form in her hand. A knife. It was tinted red and sharp. Emblym felt her heart pound.

"I can't kill her!" Emblym protested to the voices, her voice a sharp hiss. "She's my guidance counselor! This is mental, I can't do this." Emblym wanted to drop the knife, but her fingers still clutched the handle.