8. He knows.

Maxon knows I'm missing.

Shit. That was way too fast. How could he know already? I couldn't help but look over my shoulder. A weird, creepy fear nestled deep in my stomach. Is this how I'll be feeling for the rest of my life while I'm looking over my shoulder? I asked myself. No, I said to myself as I turned my head back to the plane and forced a smile. I wouldn't. I am stronger than this. Maxon did this. I didn't. It wasn't my fault, and the Italian Royalty knows it - Why would they take me with them otherwise?

The plane was.. kinda big, Bigger than I remembered planes were. Maybe because the Royal family was bigger than the Royal family of Illeá. 

The colors of the plane were a deep, bordeaux red with dark emerald accents everywhere. The tables were made of mahogany, to keep the colors in perfect balance. The scent of roses welcomed me to the plane, along with something I recognized as chocolate. 

In the back of the plane sat Luceano. He smiled when he saw me looking at his direction, and cleared the seat across him. I walked towards him with with Lucy closely behind me. "Is it okay if I sit here?" I asked politely, even though he just cleared it. For all I know he could have done it for Nicoletta, or someone else. "Ofcourse you can silly." he said, and smiled his oh-so-sweet smile.

I sat down in the seat, while Lucy carefully sat down in the seat 2 feet  away from me. She didn't look comfortable at all.. probably worrying about what Maxon would do if he could catch us before we left Illeá airport. Even I still felt nervous. "Thank you." I said, way too late. My eyes found Luceano's for a brief moment. 

"For everything you do for me. And Lucy."

Luceano hadn't looked away from me, and nodded. "Ofcourse America. He treated you badly, turned you down.. and now you can practically do whatever you please. You're in Italy before you know it. We already informed the castle you'll be joining us, living with us for as long as you want. Maxon won't touch you ever again, I promise." 

And for the first time, I believed I was safe. 

"Please fasten your seatbelt, we're going up." I heard a gentle man's voice say, and I did as I was told. Everyone else in the plane followed. 

"I trust you. Maybe even more than you know. And not just you.. Nicoletta and the others too. I don't know what would have happened if you weren't there, and Maxon could just.. do.. whatever he wanted.. I think I'd have died within a year or two. Maybe sooner. Not just by his hands, but my own. Because of him. If I'd tell you what he had in mind for me after the selection.." I said, shaking my head heavily. 

"Never again will I return to that castle." 

I noticed Lucy looking at me, not directly, but from the corners of her eye. She knew me better than anyone at this very moment. 

"Not even if he apologizes, or divorces Kris?" 

A frown appeared on his face before he could get his sentence out. Was I that serious? Would I forgive him if he did that? Or, even better, Cóúld I forgive him?

I didn't know.