3. The man behind the mask.

{Picture is Luceano from Italy!}

I had never seen Maxon looking like this. He was so.. different, nothing like the Maxon I knew and wanted to marry with. 

His eyes had a dangerous flicker in it, which made me uncomfortable. Luceano had noticed it too, because he abruptly switched sides so my back was facing Maxon. Maybe it was for the better if he couldn't look at me and I couldn't look at him - other people must have noticed the look in his eyes too. Especially Queen Amberly. She was watching him like a hawk tonight, as if she knew he was going to lose it tonight or something. She had already told me she liked me as a daughter already, but what if that changed the moment he picked Kriss? I shook the thought off of me and looked back into Luceano's eyes. "I don't know what I'm actually doing here Luceano. I don't want to be here to celebrate my loss. It's embarrassing. And did you s-" but I stopped talking quickly. "I am so sorry. I shouldn't have said that." A frown appeard on my forehead but Luceano laughed softly.

 "I never liked that Maxon dude. Seems so innocent on the Report of Ileà, but the way I saw him looking at us? Like a snake. A very venomous snake. Not the kind of person you want to give so much power." So he did saw Maxon looking! I nodded slowly, and the music stopped. I bowed for Luceano and he bowed back, kissing my hand once again. 

"Luceano?" I asked, as we both started to walk away from the improvised garden ballroom floor. "Yes milady?"

"You saw the way he looked at me. I don't think I can stay in Ileà any longer. What if he goes mad? King Clarkson ís mad already so who knows what his son will become. Yes, I loved Maxon. I still do. But I don't feel safe or welcome anymore, and I love your family. Especially Nicoletta - she's like the best big sister I've ever had. Do you like.. Think that.. Ehm.. There's a place for me to stay with your family? Untill I know what to do next. I can't even think straight at this point, and I really think Italy would help. I've been considering this for awhile now, Maxon's been distant for days and I thought.." a deep sigh escaped my mouth, full of worry.  

"Would Nicoletta agree? And Italy?" I wasn't sure if I was in the right position to ask such things but I really had to go. I'd send May, Kota and everyone else letters and maybe I'd even visit some time but it seemed like the right thing to do. Luceano frowned, looked at Maxons' direction and nodded. "that's a great idea America. Italy would love to have such a new beauty among the royal family. You're a treasure, you'd be treated like the princess you're supposed to be. Nicoletta would be thrilled. She already said she wanted to ask you to come over once you became engaged. Now you're not, but that doesn't change the fact dat she likes you. She really sees you as her best friend, and from what I see and hear, you think the same way about her." 

And he was right - I really did love her. Very much. She supported me in every way possible. She even helped back in the good days with funding the rebels, although nobody really knew. And it was supposed to stay that way. "So.. When do you leave?" Maybe I didn't even need to go home and get a public "Welkom home America from Carolina," speech and such. "tomorrow morning. Around 11, and you are very welcome to join us."