“I can’t go to work with all this hanging over us. I phoned in sick – anyways, I don’t need the job.”

“But you enjoy it, right?”

“I did, I don’t now, not with all this junk happening.”

This makes me feel real bad. The Surgeon destroys everything, even people’s job satisfaction.

“Why’ve you gone quiet?” asks Kade.

“I’m thinking of her, she sucks everything away and replaces it with anxiety, horror and…”

Kade puts a gentle hand over my mouth, “Stop!” He removes his hand and smiles, “I mean, don’t stop talking, just stop talking yourself into a negative hole. Let’s try to think and talk positively.”

“Sure, you’re right.”

“There are some good things to come out of this, you know.”

I shake my head and laugh, bemused, “Like what?”

Kade stares at me, a look on his face that I can’t quite grasp, then he turns away – “I met you.”

I feel my face flush as a rush of heat reddens it, I look the other way, “We should get back, check all’s well,” I say, turning swiftly back toward our home.

 …..

We are working hard to keep the lid on our tension. It’s ten minutes before the presentation about the wedding.

……

We rose early, had a 45-minute work out and a healthy breakfast. We’re now sharp and focused, ready to take it all in.

 ……

An alert flashes onto the monitor: THREE MINUTES UNTIL GO TO PRESENTATION.

“You ready?” Asks Kade.

“Yes,” I reply.

……

ONE MINUTE UNTIL GO TO MEETING.

Kade’s whole body is taut. I put my hand on his shoulder and feel his tension, “You OK?”

“I will be,” he smiles.

 ……

ACCESS ALLOWED.

The Surgeon looms large and gross on the main monitor. She launches right into it.

“Good morning, and thank you for joining us for this short presentation on the creative concept and deliverables for our daughter’s wedding day celebrations. The theme for the day is: ‘Experience the Love Rush.’ It will be a unique wedding celebration, as not only will our guests get to share Brigitte and Charlie’s moment, but also they will get to feel the incredible ‘rush’ of love that they have for one another. Now, as the wedding date draws close, I would like to hand you over to Katherine Kendal, our creative Director and manager of operations. I look forward to seeing you at The Wedding, we are going to have so much fun with you guys.”

Kade gulps and stands up. I get ready to record and speed type her words.

……

Wow! Here she is in holographic form. A beautiful woman with a petite and kind face; her smile is warm and engaging. She doesn’t introduce herself, just talks.

“I should like to outline some of the logistics for the upcoming days.

As you know, I know the space intimately; and as such, I’ve located the area for clearance and construction.