26: I Hate The Mall

Start from the beginning

  Don't like me? That's okay, dude.

  I looked outside the passenger window as we passed more stores and gas stations. A few zombies were passed and they started for the cars, but easily let it go after trying to chase us. This town looked a bit rough. There were a lot of cars that were wrecked, blood stains all on the concrete and sides of stores, bodies were spaced around. It was like a warzone happened.

  "Damn." I heard Steve breath from behind me. "This is crazy."

  "This is just the tip of the iceberg." Thor said, looking around as well.

  "How is the rest of the world?" I asked, turning my attention to him. "How much have you heard?"

  His face looked like he wanted to talk, but couldn't. He sighed a bit, "I think your mother should tell you guys that."

  "Why?" I demanded. "Why my mom? You're the one who fights for this country! Why can't you tell me?"

  "It's not my place and it will break protocol."

  That made Steve snort, "Protocol. This is the apocalypse, man. People deserve to know what's going on!"

  Thor stayed quiet and kept his eyes on the road ahead. I rolled my eyes and turned my eyes back to the road. There was an exit sign that had 'Summer Mall' on it and Thor turned that way. It wasn't long until the big building was in view. In the parking lot, was a lot of cars. More than the Wal-Mart had.

  I wondered how many got out.

  Definitely not a good thing to think of.

  "Thor, lets make a sweep of this parking lot and stop by the front. Over." Hawkeye's voice crackled over the radio.

  "10-4." Thor replied and took the left way while I saw Hawkeye's car go right.

  Everything seemed chill out in the parking lot. There weren't any zombies out swaying around between the cars. Thor pulled the car infront of the entrance and got out, the rest of us following suit.

  The giant glass floor to ceiling windows were smashed, glass littering the floor. That was most likely where the horde came in through. Black blood was spilled and there was a trail of footsteps that lead out about fifteen feet until they faded out.

  Thor came up next to me, his rifle in hand and at the ready. "It looks like there might be about thirty. At least."

  "Why do they like to travel in packs?" Steve asked as he appeared to the other side of me, "Every zomboe we've come across are in packs. Except that one at Wal-mart."

  "They have a cerebral link." The doctor guy from Hawkeye's car stated. He looked to be around 30 years old with curly brown hair and a broad build. He pushed up his glasses to rest better on the bridge of his nose. "We studied one's brain waves and it was almost like how a dolphin sends sonar. It amplifies the signal and they tend to stick together."

  Bigger the group, the more dangerous.

  That would make a lot of sense, but how can they even send the signal? That sounds more like an upgrade than a disease. What Thor said burned in the back of my mind. Why would I ask my mom about all of this? Does she know why it started? Was she involved? That brought me to Amelia's statement, "Maybe the hospital workers care, but I know the government doesn't."  Something is up. I need to know what.

  All of us walked through the window and swept our guns to survey the area. There wasn't a body in sight. Nothing on the ground except broken glass and paper. A kiosk with sunglasses looked like a hurricane came through it with the sunglasses completely scattered everywhere. The poor sunglasses.