12: I Hate Wal-Mart

With Wal-Mart plastic bags in my had, I went around to the front of the shack to grab some snacks and maybe even more supplies. I picked out drinks and different foods. I wanted to just take everything, but I knew that wouldn't have been the right thing. I mean there are other people out there. What if they find this and its the only food they've eaten in days?

  I put a few pringle cans back, grabbed an extra Monster, and went over to the car. I threw the stuff in thr back and joined Steve at the pump. "How's it going?"

  "Its going by....very slowly." He gripped the handle. "Its like this place is losing power or something."

  Just as he said that, the screen went blank and the gas stopped moving. Steve shook the handle and pulled it out. Only a drop on the cement.

  "Are you fucking kidding me?" Steve put the nozzle back. "Doesn't this fucking place have a generator?"

  "How much gas did we get?" I asked.

  "Five gallons."

  "How much until it's full?"

  "Twenty gallons."

  I sighed. "Yikes."

  "Maybe we can siphon from other cars." He said. "I've done it before."

  I looked up at the sky to see that the blue got darker. The sun was already behind the trees. "Maybe we should wait til the morning."

  The window rolled down and Ashley stuck her head out. "No way in hell am I sleeping in this car."

  "There's a fortress behind us." I waved to Wal-mart. "If everyone was evacuated, then we'll be safe in there. See how there's only a few cars?"

  Ashley looked cautiously at the brick building. "But what if there's zombies inside?"

  "Then we'll take care of them. God, stop being such a wimp." I said, maybe a little to harshly.

  Ashley glared at me and rolled her window up. The door opened and Ricky, with his tail wagging, hopped out before her. Ashley stepped out with her backpack and duffle bag on her shoulder. She also had one of Steve's pistols holstered to her hip. She pulled her hair up into a signature high ponytail and looked at me. "Fine. Let's go, bitches."

******************************

  Steve reparked the car at the corner of Wal-Mart, hiding slightly incase anyone tried to get it. He hid most of his weapons under the seats and also carried a bit in his duffle just in case. We tried to stay light in case there was a problem inside too.

  As we walked up to the door, I also completely ran face first into the doors because they were not automatically opening like they had been all my life. We stood infront of the doors and I waved my hands, trying to get something to work.

  "Well this is a bust!" I exclaimed. "How the hell are we-"

  "Max!" Ashley shouted from my right. I looked over to see her at a side door, holding it open. "They do have these doors. Remember?"

  I didn't like how smug she sounded. I trudged over behind Steve. "Yeah I remember."

  The three of us walked into the side door, passed crane games, and finally to the main entrance. Wal-Mart looked pretty spotless. No overturned carts or random items on the ground.

  "Wow. Wal-Mart actually doesn't look like Armageddon formed here." I said as we passed over the welcome mats. The lights above us were dim like a generator had activated.

  "Only one way to find out if it's clear." Steve upholstered his pistol and pointed it upwards. "Cover Ricky's ears."

  Ashley did so just as Steve pulled the trigger. A loud shot rung through the entire Wal-Mart. It echoed for a solid twenty seconds before that, and the ringing in my ears, stopped all together. We waited silently. There weren't any sounds. No growls. No screams. No shuffling. Nothing.