Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"LeRoy, let me know if you see a red Jaguar pass by your window," Grace called out that Friday a little after nine as she lifted up the hood on a truck.

"Will do, Grace," LeRoy hollered back from his office. "You expecting somebody? That seems like an awful fancy vehicle."

"It's one of Vince's friends from New York," Grace replied. Leaving out that it was a woman and the reason for her visit. She still wasn't too sold on the idea of Vince calling in back up to help her with things that she had gotten herself into.

"I take it he's rich too?" LeRoy inquired.

Grace sighed. Sometimes small town and their nosey ways were too much. "It's a she and I honestly have no idea."

LeRoy stepped out into the garage shaking his head. "Your fiance's female friend is coming all the way here from New York just to visit him and you're okay with that."

Grace rolled her eyes as she dug a greasy wrench from her toolbox. "I'm not exactly the jealous type."

"Good," LeRoy laughed and patted her on the back. "Because that man loves you. I'll keep an eye out for the car." LeRoy disappeared into his office, closing the door behind him, and Grace got back to her work.

In all honesty, she was a bit a nervous and intimidated about meeting Patricia. She knew that Patricia had been Vince's friend and a very important part of his life for a long time and she desperately wanted the woman to like her. Patricia was due to arrive anytime and while Vince had given her directions to the garage, Grace worried that she still wouldn't find her.

Vince was busy meeting with park officials and a wildlife committee about the possibility of fixing up some of the trails and natural tourist attractions in the area. He would be in meetings all morning but would be coming by at lunch to take her and Patricia out to lunch. Grace had no idea what Patricia would do to entertain herself for hours in a garage but she figured she'd come up with something.

Grace sighed and laid down on the concrete before sliding herself beneath the truck. She was just finishing up fastening the oil pan when she heard the sound of high heels clicking on concrete.

"Hello, is anyone here?"

Grace recognized Patricia's accented voice. "I'll be right out," she called from beneath the truck. She took a deep breath to prepare herself for meeting the woman she'd heard so much about. She slid herself out from under the truck, wiped her greasy hands on her coveralls and turned.

Amusement filled her at the sight of the woman currently standing in the garage looking very out of place. She was tall for a woman, over six feet, though some of that height came from the heels on her bright red, open-toed shoes. Her black skirt was tight, very short and seemed like something a twenty year old stripper would wear even though Vince said Patricia was somewhere around fifty years old. He couldn't be sure because she had written 'none of your business' on the date of birth section of her job application.

Patricia's blouse was red and flowing and tucked neatly into her skirt. There was a black suit jacket tossed over her arm and a black leather satchel held by her perfectly manicured hand. Patricia's face was flawless. Not a single wrinkle or line marred her smooth skin. Her thick brown hair was pulled back in an intricate coif on the back of her head. She was so willowy that she made Grace, who had always been on the skinny side, feel a little bloated.

Patricia slid her sunglasses,(probably costing more than Grace's car), up onto her head and raised one perfectly arched brow. "Are you Grace?"

"Yes," Grace snapped out of her appraisal of Patricia and held out her hand. "You must be Patricia."