Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Vince sat in his room at the inn that evening and looked over the mountains of paperwork around him. Of course the government buildings were out of his reach for now but if he bought up the business and residential properties, the government buildings would eventually shut down, go up for bid and be his for the taking as well.

Vince had a list of homes behind in their property taxes and all it would take was a simple visit to the courthouse, a couple of checks and those properties would fall into his hands. Of course he would also give fair property value prices to the homeowners because while he was a good businessman, he wasn't an evil one.

Because of hard times in the area lately, most of the businesses were behind on payments as well and Vince had a meeting with the bank on Monday to discuss taking over payments and ownerships.

To Vince this was all business. He saw numbers, figures, bottom lines and profit margins. He was going to take a drive tomorrow to check out the surrounding land and wilderness. Bad Hollow Falls, Black Bear Park, Cyprus Mountain hiking trails and Blue Fork lake which offered boating, swimming and fishing opportunities. Those were just a few of the natural beauties Vince planned on taking advantage of.

The future of Clifton was already forming in his head. Once he owned the businesses he would bring in bigger stores, higher end boutiques and restaurants that wealthy vacationers would appreciate having access to. He would hire a crew to bulldoze and dynamite the surrounding areas so he could build five star resorts with pools and spas. Clifton would be unrecognizable. It currently wasn't the rich vacation spot that Vince envisioned but very soon it would be.

Leaning back with a sigh, Vince realized he was happy he had chosen to come take care of this himself. He was more relaxed than he'd been in a long time and he supposed he should thank Patricia for urging him to take the trip. He had needed time away from the office, away from the city and away from his parents and their constant parade of marriageable women.

Vince didn't understand their disapproving intolerance of his single life. Sure they wanted him to settle down and have heirs, (which made him sound as if he were some sort of eighteenth century prince), but at least he wasn't out screwing any woman who would spread her legs. As a matter of fact, Vince hadn't had sex in six years--or was it seven? He shrugged as he slipped his messy files back into his briefcase.

It didn't matter to him how long it had been. Work had filled any voice that lack of women created and he never felt as if he were missing out. It wasn't as if the opportunity hadn't presented itself because women were always showing interest thanks to his money. Vince just hadn't had any urge to seize any of those opportunities. Speaking of opportunities.. His mind drifted back to that auburn haired beauty he'd seen at the diner today.

Vince had never seen a female mechanic before and that blue jumpsuit had hugged her cute little ass perfectly as her ponytail had swung and shone in the sunshine. He wished he could have gotten a better look at her face but she had pushed past him and walked on as if barely noticing he was there at all.

It was probably just as well. Vince could only imagine the response his mother and father would have to realize he was interested in poor southern mechanic. His mother's perfectly groomed head would probably explode.

Vince picked up the remote and began flipping through television channels, searching for something to combat boredom. Clifton Kentucky was a town that closed down pretty early. By six o'clock all the businesses were closed and it was nine o'clock now so town was officially dead.

Finally, Vince, settled on a show featuring two mechanic's fixing up a truck in a well-stocked garage. He chuckled when he realized his mind was fixated on mechanics. Though he could guarantee that his mystery woman would look better bent over the hood of that truck than those men did--possibly even without that blue jump suit on and nothing other than grease smudges on her pale skin....