Chapter 17 - Tied Down

Start from the beginning

“What are you?” Annabell asked. The question made him stop; he turned towards her, his dark eyes shooting daggers. His lips curved in a terrifying grin, and Miriam found it hard to believe that she ever had thought he was handsome. He rolled back on his feet and extended his legs. Towering above them, he laughed heartily – a sound so horrid that it pained Miriam to listen.

“That’s a good question, dear. Who am I? More importantly, what am I? Am I more than just a hungry – and handsome – beast? But all things in its own time, love,” he said. Blake gestured to their right, “Also, we need prince charming over there to stop snoring at some point.”

Miriam strained her neck but couldn’t see whom he was pointing at, her position wasn’t in an angle that left much of a view, she was convinced that it was Joshua though.

“What have you done to him?” Annabell yelled, demanding to know the truth. Miriam could feel her straining against her -bonds, and she gasped when her sister’s movements caused the bonds to tighten around her.

“That won’t work; you’ll only bring more pain to your sister.” Blake smiled, “But that’s something you’re used to, isn’t it?”

Miriam could feel hear her sister’s gasp, along with the tainted thoughts that followed Blake’s remark. Her heart bled, and she tried to send comforting thoughts to Annabell, the thoughts were blocked though, and she couldn’t get through. She hadn’t seen Blake move, but he snorted at her feeble attempt to reconnect their mind.

“Silly, silly humans…” he muttered, tilting his head he studied Miriam. His black eyes tearing into her core as he continued, “You’re all so engrossed in feelings. Love – what is that?”

He reached out a hand and covered her shoulder – the shoulder that was sore from sleeping on the ground.

“Don’t touch her!” Annabell shouted.

“Be quiet!” Blake snapped at her and resumed his attention to Miriam. He forced her head up to face him, and their eyes met.

“What?” Miriam tried to move her head. She had vaguely registered that she had located her voice box.

“You just make me so darned hungry! And I suppose I’m sorry… You were so much fun, I hope you know that,” he said. He winked once before dramatically proclaiming, “It’s just… It’s not you, it’s me…”

Miriam didn’t reply – shame filled her over her own stupidity, and it was accompanied by guilt over the fact that she had brought him here.

Blake laughed, “You are my hostage!”

‘I hadn’t noticed… Jerk,’ she thought with sarcasm. No, it wasn’t my thoughts. Annabell had opened up for the block. Miriam tried not to react, but the knowledge that they were still connected gave her renewed strength.

“Is this supposed to be a joke?” she asked, “Because if it is, your humor fails miserably.”

Blake stopped laughing and narrowed his eyes at her, “You’re no fun!”

He rose from them, and started pacing again. Miriam followed him with her eyes, contemplating what to say and do.

“What would be fun then?” she tried. Blake diverted his eyes to her and smiled.

“Well, you could do as I ask, and this would be far less painful,” he said. Then he added, “For any of you.”

“What is it that you want from us?” Annabell chimed in. Miriam was thrilled to see how fast her sister had caught on; they needed to get him to speak in order to have time to think.