Chapter 3 - Blake

Chapter 3 – Blake

The annoying sound of birds chirping outside woke Miriam from her slumber—her head was pounding. Opening her eyes, she looked from side to side. Where was she? Pain shot up through her body, when she moved, and all the memories of last night came flooding back.

This was the downstairs bedroom; she recognized the drapes over the bed. Groaning in pain, she tried to sit upright.

 “Miss, you’re awake! Can I help you to anything? Does it hurt? Oh god, I’ll get Miss Hertz right away!” a voice squealed frantically.

Miriam looked to her right and saw one of the maids jump out of her seat, babbling on so fast that Miriam almost couldn’t follow.

“No, no Christina, I’m fine!” she croaked as a nasty coughing fit took over her body.

“Oh Miss, I’ll get the Doctor!” Christina said and hurried out of the door. Miriam’s insides felt as if her lungs were about to burst, pressing against her ribs.

Dr. Johansson arrived shortly after with her mother in tow. Looking up at both of them through teary eyes, she recognized the concern in both set of eyes. She reached out her hands, and they helped her up in an upright position. Miriam groaned as pain seared through her body, but sitting up helped to clear her airways and a few seconds later the coughing stopped. 

As the doctor checked her bandages, she watched with the same curiosity as she always did the day after an attack. The pain was still there, along with the memory of every blow. However, when she looked down, the many injuries seemed to have doubled in numbers.

Looking up she caught sight of her mother’s pained expression. Worry was evident in her eyes, and as their eyes met, Miriam felt it tug on her heart.

“I’m so sorry Ma’,” she said, tears welling up in her eyes. Her mother hurried to her side and held her close.

“There, there, baby. It is not your fault. We’ll get through this,” the voice was soothing, and Miriam cuddled into her mother’s arms, slowly relaxing by the gentle strokes to her hair. 

She sniffled and looked up to discover Dr. Johansson watching them. His eyebrows furrowed as he scanned briefly over her body. His features softened as he noticed her looking at him. Both horror and hope surfaced in her mind when she realized he might have reached a conclusion.

“Veronica, is it possible that I can have a word with you?” he asked softly. Veronica released the hold and with a silent nod, she stood up and walked out of the room with Steven.

They didn’t close the doors, so Miriam watched as he took her mother’s hands in his. Tears travelled down Veronica’s cheek as Dr. Johansson whispered something. Her mother nodded, and gave him a kiss on the cheek after hearing what he had to say. Miriam couldn’t hear anything. 

Veronica stepped back into the room, drying her eyes.

“Dr. Johansson is going to see if he can find anything useful,” she said, sadness filling her voice as she combed her fingers through Miriam’s hair. Miriam nodded and leaned into her mother’s side.

“Christina, can you please make sure there is some food delivered here?” Veronica asked after a few minutes. Christina curtseyed and left them alone. Miriam could feel the surveying look, as tiny pinpricks on her arms and neck.

“I love you Miriam. You know that right?” Veronica said.

Miriam nodded once more and hugged her mother close despite the pains in her ribs. From experiences, she knew that she would recover. And even though this time had been much worse than the last, she could already now feel her body slowly healing.