Untitled Part 6

Nigel had been nervously fiddling with a brochure he'd found on the table while he waited and by the time he heard his name being called the little pamphlet was tattered and frayed. A tall, strongly built man in a sharp black suit came over to him. He was smiling warmly, but Nigel couldn't help feel a little intimidated. The guy was more than a head taller than him.

"You remember me, right?" the man said, extending his hand. Nigel took it nervously, giving a faint nod as he got off the couch.

"Good, Good! Now, come with me, and I'll show you to the lab."

He put an arm around Nigel's narrow shoulders and guided him towards the elevator.

"I'm glad you didn't feel too intimidated to come back here again." Bert noted, chuckling warmly. "The way I recall it, you shook like a leaf during your interview."

Nigel couldn't get himself to reply. There was still a slight chance he'd spin around and bolt out the door. Or just throw up... His body couldn't quite make up its mind.

They stepped into the elevator together, and Bert pressed one of the numerous buttons there. In addition to its fourteen stories and the parking garage, Pyramid had five basement levels. Bert had pressed the button for basement level three and the elevator began moving with a long, complaining groan.

"Ah, don't worry about that." Bert said. "The pulleys are getting a little dry. We'll get someone to oil them in not too long."

He turned and beamed down as Nigel, who shrank a little under his gaze.

"So... Nervous before your first day in the labs?" Bert asked and smiled. "That's completely natural. But don't worry. If your report card is any indication you'll feel right at home in this job. I got to say, reading your school report left quite the imprint on me, Nigel. Truly talented you are."

The elevator staggered to a halt and the doors slid open. Bert led Nigel out and in a door immediately to their right.

"This is the locker room, Nigel." He said. "It's company rules that you leave all your belongings, including phones and other devices in here while at work. We've taken the liberty to pick out a locker for you, but if you'd like to switch, there's no problem in that. Just ask our desk clerk for a form and fill it out."

He took Nigel over to a locker with his name on it and opened it. Inside was a black computer bag and a white labcoat. Along with the black and white company shirt.

"Every Pyramid employee gets their own company laptop." Bert explained, pointing to the bag. "You're free to bring it home and do whatever you want with it.

So why don't you see if the uniform fits? I'll wait outside."

He gave Nigel one last pat on the shoulder before he left the room.

Nigel hesitated a moment before picking the clothes of the hanger and replacing them with his own shirt and jacket. The labcoat had a nametag reading Nigel Frye, Pharm assistant, and was otherwise too large. The sleeves reached down to his knees and the hem of the coat was swooping around his ankles.

Nigel shuffled over to the mirror hanging between some lockers and eyed his own reflection. His soft, golden brown hair fell down before his face, bangs brushed to the side and hiding one of his pale green eyes. A faint sprinkle of freckles was cast across his cheeks and nose, and there was no sign of sideburns or beards whatsoever. Not that Nigel missed it, but some facial hair would certainly help him look less like a child. A look which got amplified by tenfold by the way too large labcoat. How was he supposed to be taken seriously in this thing? He flapped his sleeves helplessly and gave a silent sigh.

Out in the hallway Bert cast him a glance and his eyebrows flew up to his forehead.

"Well, I'll say... it seems like your coat sits a little loosely..." he said, obviously fishing for words. But he regained his composure quickly.

"Well... Nevermind that now." He said. "We'll have one your size ordered. Come with me. I'll show you to your lab."

He put an arm across Nigel's shoulders again, guiding him through the corridors to his lab. The entire area seemed very airy and open. All the labs were separated by large windows, rather than walls so you could see almost everything going on in there. Nigel glanced curiously around as they walked, spotting several men and women in labcoats similar to the one he had, working computers or machinery, or scribbling down notes onto clipboards. Not one of them looked up as they went past. Everyone seemed very engulfed in their work.

"Ah. Here we are." Bert said, pulling Nigel to a halt before one of the labs. He pulled out an ID card and swiped it at the door, which then opened with a silent whoosh.

Inside stood a woman with dark brown, curly hair bent over an electronic microscope. On the wall behind her a monitor displayed what it was she was currently looking at. To the untrained eye it looked like a colorful cluster of slime.

"Miranda, dear." Bert said, and the woman looked up, eyeing them both in turn and frowning slightly at Nigel.

"Meet Nigel Frye. He'll be your new assistant." He turned to Nigel. "Nigel, this is Miranda Brisbon. She'll be your supervisor."

Nigel cast her a careful glance as she came over to him. She had a sharp glare that made him shrink back a little when their eyes met.

"So this is the wonderchild I've been hearing about." She said, examining him closely. "How old are you?"

Nigel jumped at the question.

"Er... twenty-one, Ma'am." He squeaked.

She tilted her head a little, not ever taking her eyes off him.

"Huh."

"Well!" Bert announced, putting his hands together. "I have to go now. Got a couple of meetings to prepare for. I'll leave you two to get to know each other."

He put a hand on Nigel's shoulder, smiling at him.

"Really good to have you on board, mister Frye."

Then he turned and left the room. Nigel followed him with his eyes until he was out of sight. When he turned his head back he was surprised to find Miranda's face only inches away from his own and a finger pointing warningly at him.

"You better be as amazing as they say, kid, otherwise you're gonna be a waste of my time."

Nigel couldn't think of anything to say to that and took a step back to get away from her burning scrutinizing look.

She straightened up again and glared disapprovingly down at him.

"Of course they'd set me to work with a child. God, what's this place coming to?" She muttered just loud enough for Nigel to hear. He didn't dare reply and merely stood there, looking carefully at her.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" she snapped, crossing her arms. "Get to work!"

"Y-yes, ma'am!" Nigel hurried to say. "Er, what do you want me to–"

His voice trailed off as he noticed the unpleasant smile spreading on her lips.

"Let's start with something simple, shall we?" she said. "Go take a look at those slides over there and tell me what they are."