○○○

Athena stood in the shadows as Scott and Isaac walked up to Deucalion, who stood proudly on an escalator.

"You didn't come alone," The man stated.

"Yeah, this is Isaac." Oh, Scott was so innocent - innocence was hard to come by in this world.

"I'm not talking about Isaac."

Derek stepped forward then and Scott and Isaac turned towards the four of them, noticing they were there for the first time.

"You knew I would do this? Derek, don't. You can't do this so no one gets hurt. If someone else dies - " 

"Him. Just him," Derek interrupted.

"Just me? Now, how's a blind man find his way into a place like this all on his own?" Deucalion smirked. 

Oh no, Athena's ears pricked. Behind her, Kali was skidding down a concrete pillar, her claws leaving trails in the stone. On Scott's left, Ennis emerged from an escalator. The twins revealed themselves on a platform opposite them. They thought they had been the ones to do the ambushing, they had walked right into a trap.

The two groups stood in silence, a stand-off to see who would crack first and make the move to attack. As it happened it was Derek, who sprinted to Deucalion, but was leaped on by Kali, they engaged in a fight and soon enough everyone else was too.

The twins took on Scott and Isaac, Ennis went for Boyd and Cora and Athena moved to help Derek with Kali.

The abandoned mall was soon filled with growls and yowls, Athena ignored most of them, but then she heard Cora's pained yell and turned to see her crash to the ground. Kali capitalised on her moment of distraction and Athena felt claws drag down her side, causing her to let out a yell of her own. She turned to the lady and swiped with her claws, it was a reflex more than an attack and not thought out at all, so Athena was more than surprised that she landed a hit, her nails scraped Kali's cheek, leaving a nice sized wound.

The lady kicked out at her, forgetting that Derek was right behind her and had her legs swiped out from under her. That didn't hold her down for long though, she was right back on her feet and her claws had sunk into Athena's thigh before she had time to react, bringing the girl down to the ground in pain.

Athena glanced around and was not happy with what she saw; everyone on their side had been struck down, lying miserably on the floor. Apart from Derek, who looked over the carnage in dismay.

"Kill him," Deucalion commanded Derek, gesturing to Boyd. So that's what this was about, he was still trying to convince Derek to kill his betas.

"The others can go." Ennis dragged Scott and Isaac to their knees, Kali stood with her foot on Cora's neck and the twins (who had merged together to form a mega werewolf) came over and yanked Athena to her feet.

"You're beaten." Deucalion started walking down the escalator towards them, "Do it, Derek. Take the first step," he urged.

Derek glanced around at his pack, not knowing what to do.

"Are we serious with this kid?" Kali asked, "Look at him. He's an Alpha? To what? A couple of useless teenagers?" 

Athena growled at her, but the twins silenced her by digging a hand into the wound on her side. Her growl turned into a grunt of pain.

"Some have more promise than others," Deucalion said, looking at Scott.

"Let him rise to the occasion then. What'll it be Derek? Pack or family?" Kali put pressure on Cora's neck then, causing her to yell out and struggle. She was so focused on Cora she didn't notice the twins shuffling behind her, until there were two pairs of hands holding onto her, one positioned over her neck at just the right angle to snap it if needed. She whimpered slightly as the other twin dug his nails even further into the cuts on her side.

Derek continued to look around helplessly, when all of a sudden, a whistle sounded through the air, and the twins behind her fell to the ground. Athena dropped with them, temporarily blinded by a burning white flash that accompanied the whistle.

She heard more whistles, a scream and then Deucalion yelling, "Your eyes! Cover your eyes!"

Athena couldn't see what was going on and there was too much noise to be able to discern anything useful, she felt helpless. She hated it.

She heard the sound of scuffling and then a growl. She needed to be able to see what was going on! She blinked frantically, trying to make the flashing white lights in front of her eyes disappear. She felt hands heave her off the ground and struggled before recognising the voice of her sister.

The white lights had shifted to a murky green and purple, which still blocked her vision but didn't hurt her mind as much.

She could just about make out too people charging at each other. There was a loud noise and then a shocked silence. What was happening? She was panicking, trying even faster to get rid of the frustrating lights.

It took a while and everything was tainted a greenish colour, but finally Athena could see. She regained her vision just in time to see Scott's eyes glowing a violent red. Had he killed one of the Alphas? No, they were all still here, Athena looked around the building, trying to put together the pieces. 

There was a girl standing on a platform, a bow gripped in her hands and a quiver slung over her shoulder. She must have fired strange arrows that exploded in a blinding light.

Derek took advantage of everyone's shock and ran up behind Ennis, sinking his claws into the man's back. The two engaged in a fight, they were a blur of claws as they battled. The two didn't realise it but they were edging their way closer and closer to end of the platform they were on. Scott noticed how close they were to the edge and tried to get up and stop them, but his side was seriously injured, he didn't make it in time and both Derek and Ennis toppled over. 

Athena rushed out of Cora's grip, looking over the edge next to Scott. There, fifty feet or so below them, was Derek's body. 

Athena let out a choked sob, "Derek!" She called out.

She saw Scott being dragged back from the corner of her eye, and then she felt herself being pulled back by someone. They were being gentle so she didn't worry, and even if they were being rough with her, she didn't think she could snap herself out of this feeling to fight them off.

"Well, that's a shame," Deucalion said simply, walking the rest of the way down the escalator and leaving, his pack following hesitantly behind him.

"Come on, we have to go," Cora said softly.

Trying to update regularly and failing, whoops.

Vote and comment and everything! (But only if you want to, I have no power over what you do)