"We'll get there on time. Thank you, Vladimir." I give him a small smile and he takes out a mobile device from his back pocket to start furiously texting. After sending a message to Talmira's representatives, he looks up and sighs aloud.

"I just sent confirmation of your attendance. They're expecting you."

"You should rest. If we are to look for Ari, you'll need all your energy."

His mouth gapes open and I smirk, getting the answer to my guess. It's clear that he has a deeper regard for Amaryllis.

"H-how," he stops speaking to clear his throat. I probably just revealed his secret. His face, which seemed shocked at first relaxed as his gaze darted from mine to Valentine's. "Is it that obvious?"

"You're not hiding anything from us, Vlad," Valentine takes this time to complete my own thoughts. "I know for a fact that you've had a crush on Ari since you two dug around the crypts together a year ago."

My lips turn up in amusement and I realize that Vladimir's face has now changed into a rosy color to indicate his obvious affection for the missing witch. It's quite a sight, to see a vampire so flustered over a woman who has been around for centuries.

"Well, damn," he curses in embarrassment. "I guess there is no use in hiding it now."

I chuckle at his comment and nod in agreement. Again, I surprise myself by smiling - something that can definitely be forgotten at a time like this. I've been around for hundreds of years but feel like I was born yesterday. Although my life has been filled with a spectrum of colors and experiences, I feel like I'm learning everything all over again.

"No," I shake my head in amusement. I give Vladimir another smile before heading out to the cove. "We'll see you in a few hours, my friend."

Vladimir gives us a mock salute and he twists on his heels to return to his duties. I hoped he would at least be able to attend the meeting with us, but unfortunately, these meetings are very exclusive. I look over to Valentine and suddenly, I feel my heart beat hard against my chest. His dark eyes locked mine in an inescapable gaze and my entire body explodes in heat as if I was thrown into an open flame.

"Oh, don't think you're off the hook, sweetheart," he says in a deep and reprimanding tone. I take me a few seconds to realize what's he's referring to and when I do, I had the urge to laugh at him.

"It's a council meeting, Valentine, what could possibly go wrong?"

He closes the gap between us until I was staring right into his wide shoulders. I have no choice but to look up at him and give him an innocent smile. He sighs and I his minty breath latches onto my senses, almost making me forget all about our little charade.

"They have the power to do anything. The last thing I want is for the two of us to be executed or worse, be exiled to live in Inferus with hell's angels. If you thought I was a monster, you have no idea what kind of evil lurks in that kingdom," he twists his face in disgust and for some reason that increases my amusement.

"Come on, it can't be that bad." I dismiss his comment but keep it in the back of my mind. I try to hide my own fear of the council because half of the kingdoms there actually hate me and want me dead. He presses himself against me and my core melts because of the invisible cord connecting the two of us to each other. He leans down and brushes his lips against my cheek.

"You can't talk your way out of this, Saphira. When we get back I will make sure you won't be able to walk for a week," he whispers very huskily in my ear.

I blush furiously at his innuendo and bite my lip. How is he able to affect me this much?

"If I even let you near enough to do that."