Chapter 13: Sam

Fayn's Point of View:

"I think I know how to leave." I say, more to myself than Frodo. "If I can transport myself between worlds, then why not from here, back?"

"I'm not sure I follow." Frodo says hesitantly.

"That's because you don't know who I am, not really." I respond, coming to realize this fact as I am speaking. "I am tasked as a protector of sorts, and part of my gift is to be able to communicate with the earth.  It surpasses the elves' knowledge; I become part of it, so there is nothing to learn or understand.  We become one single entity."

"So you are able to speak with the land?" Frodo asks, eyes wide. "That's amazing!"

I notice that Frodo's shorter legs are struggling to keep up with my lengthy strides, and slow down my pace a bit, smiling softly as what Frodo had said.

"Thank you, little one, though sometimes the land does not wish to respond to me.  We will have to hope that is not the case here."

We travel on in silence for a time, but the quiet is broken by another question from Frodo.

"Why is it that we need to travel back to where we woke up? I mean, why not just here; does it make a difference?" Frodo asks, stumbling a bit on the path.

 "I am able to speak as easily as I am to talk, so I suppose it does not really matter where I am.  I felt something different in the location where I woke up though, more centered.  It seems like going back there would be fastest; the earth is never in a hurry to speak, for it has literally all the time in the world."

 The rest of our walk is in a comfortable silence, broken only by Frodo pointing out along the way where he had woken up. It takes longer than I would have thought to get back; we must have walked farther out than I remember.

There are the slightest indents in the ground from where I was lying before.  I take a seat there with my legs crossed, facing out to view the large forest beneath my perch.  I am about to shut my eyes, but turn to find where Frodo is first.

"Fair warning, this may take quite some time."

Frodo plops down into a seated position next to me. "That's alright."

With that I shut my eyes, reaching out for some form of contact with the earth.  I have to repeatedly remind myself only to ask the most important questions, despite all the ones swirling in my head.  If we return, we will need every moment of time we can buy ourselves.

The earth seems to be evading me though, it seems angry with me.  The first words it speaks to me come in a yell, hurting my ears.

Betrayer!

Birds nesting peacefully below erupt from their nests, startled.

Please, I do not understand why you are angry with me. What have I done? I am trying to be of help.

The earth responds quickly, its anger sending tremors through the rocks where Frodo and I sit. You think I do not know the damage you have caused? Look to Alhena, where an entire race lies dead! Ha, what have you done? You have created chaos in one planet, and no doubt you plan to create it in Middle Earth too! 

The skies begin to darken, blocking out the terminally sunny skies.

I don't understand! I fought off the darkness on that planet; I fought with the people!  They are my friends, my allies!

You cannot lie to me when I know the truth, Ahi.  The earth rumbles.

I- wait I am not Ahi.  I am his sister, Fayn.  Please, tell me what he did. I plead.

The skies begin to lighten again, the anger the earth feels for me lessening.

I thought that might be the case. There is no darkness in you, though your life force is so similar. Being his sister makes sense. The earth has stopped tremoring, and all is back to being peaceful. Your brother destroyed the great eagles of Alhena; none have survived. I can feel the planet's mourning at such a great loss of life.  The death toll was very high.

My expression hardens. I will take care of him. It is my fault he is out in the first place, I thought he had changed.  I see now that was a mistake.  Do you know of a way to leave this place so I may return and fix what I have destroyed?

***

"What is it telling you?" Frodo asks after a time, becoming restless.  It's understandable; we must have been sitting here for hours.

"I have much terrible news to tell you." I say gravely. "My brother has betrayed me; he destroyed the army I had lying in wait in Alhena and means to come to this world."

"Why would he do that?" Frodo says in horror.

I sigh. "He is not himself. I am no longer sure if the real Ahi is still inside, or has moved on after so many years of that evil dwelling within him."

"We have to stop him then! Do you know how we can get back? Did the earth tell you that?"

"Yes, but first we must go find your friend, for he carries the only item that can take us back. I believe you said his name was Sam." I reply.

Frodo's face changes from a look of horror to one of complete happiness. "He's alive? Where is he! Is he far from here? Can-"

I cut him off gently. "Relax, Frodo, we will find him. We must move swiftly though, for I fear he has little longer."

"Why? What's happening to him?"

My lips press into a thin line. "There is evil in this strange place, just as there is in all lands.  I fear we will have to travel into the heart of it to find your friend.  There will be no shortage of danger."

"Well then let's be on our way. You said Sam only had a small amount of time left, so how far are we from where he is?"

"You hobbits truly are loyal.  Truly you are the bravest I have met in any land.  You would not even question leaping headlong in to save those you care about." I sigh, and say wistfully. "If only all the others were like hobbits."