Chapter 9: A Small Problem

Legolas's Point of View:

We set off traveling again at first light, but all the while I have had the strange feeling that we are being followed. I hear no sound and see nothing to confirm this suspicion, but the sense that there is something watching all of us does not go away. Fearing I am becoming paranoid I attempt to ignore it, but the sensation only grows stronger as the day continues.  It is a relief when I hear Fayn's voice in my mind once again.

"Quite impressive really, Legolas. You have keener senses than most elves, or perhaps you are just more suspicious.  You are not losing your sanity, I am following you.  Look up in the trees." It is almost as if I see her standing just in front of me, a smile curved at her lips, even though it is all within my own mind.

I glance upwards and see an exquisite creature propped lazily against one of the higher branches. The scaled, bluish green color of her skin conceals her within the branches easily, but her bright eyes reflect the light of the sun. She smiles down at me, motioning with a hand to her lips for me to keep quiet. I nod to her, a small smile on my lips, and continue on with the others.

Far behind us, I hear a muffled thud, no louder than the gentle falling of leaves to the floor in the autumn. After several more moments I catch a glimpse of her through the trees, but still I am unable to hear her.

"Gandalf, my old friend, I fear you are getting old. Did you not hear me following you?" Fayn suddenly appears, walking at my side. 

Her voice is soft, yet at the same time rings out strongly enough for all to hear. She has a grin plastered on her face that only grows larger when the others stop and turn to stare at her. 

Fayn's Point of View:

"Hello!" I say brightly, looking at the companions in front of me.  

Each wear a similar look of bewilderment and shock, aside from Legolas, who is smiling slightly, and Gandalf, who is looking at me with fondness.  I truly had missed the old wizard.

"It appears I have indeed grown old, dear Fayn, but you do not seem to have aged a day." Gandalf says kindly, his eyes twinkling.

"You flatter me, Mithrandir. I only wish the years had been kinder to Middle Earth." I respond, my face losing its smile as I look behind us in the direction of Mordor.

The land looks older than the last time I was here, the trees taller.  Most strikingly though, everything seems sadder.  The earth itself feels drained; there has been too much war, and far too few years of peace in these lands. It calls to me, asking for my help.  I can feel the earth pulling at me, trying to grasp onto my powerful life force.  It is terrifyingly similar to what happened to my brother in Alhena so many years ago.

"Is this what happened to Ahi?" I wonder to myself. "Did he think he could fight the darkness once it was inside him?"

I fight against it, even though I am fully aware of how much stronger my opponent is than I.  Even the most powerful being in existance would have no sway over a dying land, bend on saving itself.  

I find myself swaying back and forth in a steady rhythm as I try to reason with the earth.  The pattern of my movements allows me to focus, keeping my attention solely on this main goal.

"I will not be able to help you if you take the light from me, great earth. I know you wish to save yourself from this poison that seeks to destroy you, but this is not the way. I have seen this happen before, and the earth almost died.  You must stop now!" I plead with the earth, for it is far stronger than I.

"Fayn, what is wrong?" I hear someone ask vaguely, but I push out all sound. I cannot risk a distraction. It could mean the end of me, or worse, the birth of a darker Fayn.

"You must let me help you. I know how to help you, but if you take the light out of me I will die. There will be no one to protect you from other evils, please!

The earth is strong, and I am very weary; I can feel myself slowly losing my hold on the light.  I sense it slowly beginning to drain from me, taking my remaining energy with it.  I still fight against it, forcing myself to continue.  I have to survive, I must. I owe Gandalf as much for putting faith in me.

The darkness rises to greet me, and it slowly shuts my eyes to the light of the world, but still I fight.  I will keep fighting it, maybe even in death. If this is to be my end, then I will make sure it cannot use my corporal form.  It shall be the end of Fayn in life and spirit, or not at all.