Chapter 11: In Absence

Pippin's Point of View:

Fayn just suddenly collapsed; out of nowhere she went from making jokes about Gandalf to falling in a heap. It was lucky Legolas had been standing close enough to catch her before she hit the ground.

Gandalf does not seem to be worried about her much at all, but I don't know if he's hiding what he is truly feeling or not. He just sits there patiently, watching her still form as if she is going to miraculously sit up and begin cracking jokes again.

Perhaps she will though. For all I know, this could be no great problem at all. She is so deathly still though, and her heartbeat so faint; surely that cannot be good? I suppose only time will tell though, which something we have very little of, unfortunately.

Fayn's Point of View:

"How long have you been here?" I ask Frodo, examining him with a calculated eye to take a guess. His person appears to be covered in a relatively thick layer of dirt, though it is little help in indicating how long his stay has been.

I had already learned from Mithrandir he was one of the two hobbits that went to Mordor, so his appearance could have everything to do with his journey there.

Frodo looks uncomfortable at the question. "I'm not exactly sure about that either. The sun never seems to set here."

I look up at the sun in confusion. What a strange place this is. If I am dead, then where are the others that have passed before me? Are the two of us truly the only ones here? So many questions that need answering, yet none of the answers seem very forthcoming.

"I suppose the two of us are dead then?" I ask, speaking more to myself than anything.

We couldn't be dead, could we? There should be millions of other souls here with us.

"Do you think this is some sort of holding between the two?" I voice aloud, trying to think through this predicament.

"Perhaps. That would make sense I suppose, but how do we get out then?" Frodo asks. "Are we trapped here?"

I remain quiet, unsure of how to answer. Maybe there is a way to leave this place, and we just have to figure it out.

"Maybe we will find something at the place of our arrival." I say suddenly, hit with the inspiration out of nowhere. "Do you remember where you were when you first woke up in this place?" I ask Frodo.

"I believe so; should we go there now? It was very close to where I first saw you, actually."

"That seems so strange to be a coincidence." I muse. "They must be connected somehow. Do you think you can lead us there, Frodo?" I ask hopefully, giving him a smile.

Perhaps there will be something, some sort of clue as to how to get back. I'm hoping for anything at this point, but I keep my expression light and happy, following Frodo back the way I had traveled so far.