Chapter Thirty

Charlotte and I spend the rest of the day in the Cons. Marcus shows us how to fix something in the Cons’ Wing and then takes us somewhere in the Unknown where that item needed fixing.  Then, he helps us attempt to fix it, although it is mostly him. I am completely lost through the whole process, and I’m relatively sure Charlotte only understands slightly more than me.

After Late Meal, Marcus leaves to go back to the Cons’ Wing, while Charlotte and I stay in the Eating Hall, talking.

Charlotte asks me, “Are you considering Cons’ at all for a Pros?”

I shake my head quickly, “Definitely not, I understood nothing.”

 “Didn’t I tell you, you aren’t ‘Con’s material’? Don’t feel bad, I’ve been on countless Cons Pros Tours. Marcus does almost the same thing every time, and I still only understand the most basic procedures.  I think, for a Cons, either you have it or you don’t. It seems that for you and I, it’s a ‘don’t’.”

 “At least you can understand the most basic procedures. I couldn’t even use the hammer without hitting Marcus’ fingers or my own.”

I glance down at my thumb, which is turning slightly blue from one of the many times I hit it with the hammer.

 “Oh, you should have seen the first time I tried to use a hammer!  At least you hit something. I completely missed the nail and all of my fingers. The old Cons Council couldn’t stop laughing.”

I can’t help, but laugh at the picture that comes to mind.

Charlotte whacks me lightly on the arm, but grins, “Don’t laugh.”

I start laughing harder and realize that, for the first time since I’ve been to the Unknown, I don’t feel weighted down with worry or responsibility. I can actually laugh with Charlotte.

My laughter is quickly put to an end when Miranda sits down. Charlotte and I both swallow hard simultaneously. 

One of Miranda’s eye brows pop up, “What’s so funny?”

Charlotte mutters with a stubborn smile on her face, “My lacking in hand-eye coordination, apparently.”

 “It is rather funny.”

Charlotte’s mouth drops open and she hits Miranda on the arm.

Miranda just laughs, “Sorry, sorry.  Can I just talk to Piper for one minute?”

My heart beat immediately speeds up. What does she want to talk about? Does she know that I went to talk to Dana today? She seems to be in a good mood.

Charlotte nods, “Just come get me when you’re done, okay?”

Charlotte stands up and walks to another table in the Eating Hall, joining into a conversation with some other people.