Chapter Twenty-Four

There are only nine other people in the room, only nine. Miranda has only gotten nine people to join the group, ten if you count Charlotte, eleven if you count me. She’s the Leader of the Unknown, shouldn’t she be able to gather more people? It’s almost pathetic.

Everyone is seated around a circular table, drinking a dark brown liquid out of cups. Miranda is calmly explaining something, while everyone else listens intently.

Charlotte clears her throat, everyone looks up. Miranda smiles tightly and stands, “Everyone, this is Piper. I’ve told you her story…”

I redden at Miranda’s words. The way she says it makes it sound like I was making the whole thing up. I thought she told me she believed me? 

A boy with wild, dark, curly hair stands. His eyes glint with amusement. He motions wildly, “So this is the famous Piper. This is the girl who met the boy…now a dead Eeke…while still in the Complex.”

I stiffen. How can he mention Josh’s death so easily?

Miranda narrows her eyes, “Calvin, please, stop.”

Calvin gives her an evil grin, “Miranda, Miranda, let me continue. There are things I need to ask.”

He walks closer to me, now only two or three steps away. I want to back away, but that would make me look weak. Instead, I just stare at him.

Calvin continues, “So, Piper, why are you really here? Did your friends really just want to know what the Unknown was like?  Did you really think you could get out of here?”

Miranda shoots him a harsh glare. She speaks through gritted teeth, “Calvin. Stop. Talking.”

Calvin stares at me, watching my reaction to what he just said. How do I respond?  Do I go along with the ‘wanting to see the Unknown’ story?  Do I continue lying to yet another person?  But I can’t tell the truth, can I? At least, I can’t tell the truth yet…

I realize everyone in the room is watching us closely. No, they are watching me closely. New people in this group must not happen very often.

Before the silence gets to be too long, Miranda steps forward, “Calvin that is enough. Go to your seat, we have much to discuss. We don’t have time for your little…’jokes’.”

Calvin rolls his eyes, but takes his seat. Miranda offers everyone a tight smile. “Right, so let’s talk about our latest…achievements. Calvin, you and some other Techs took stock of all the extra cameras we have. Maddy, you put vinegar in Ellen’s flowers so that they died.  Charlotte, you’ve kept close tabs on any potentially rebellious Rivies.  Overall, I think we are doing great.”

I try to keep my face emotionless, but I think my mouth has slipped open in disbelief. This is the rebellious group? This is all they do?  Taking stocks of cameras and killing Ellen’s flowers? What does that accomplish?  With the Leader of the Unknown in the group, can’t they do a lot more?  Are they planning anything? Or are they just interested in poisoning flowers?

Miranda says, “Does anyone have any idea on what the purpose of the dead Eekes would be?  Discuss for a couple minutes as I discuss something with Piper.”

Everyone begins talking. Some shouting over others, just to get their opinions heard. Charlotte takes a seat and joins into the heated discussion.

Miranda walks over to me, “So, what do you think?”

I just shrug. I don’t want to say something negative and insult Miranda. But, I really don’t have anything positive to say. I definitely don’t want to lie another time.