Chapter Ten

I don't know who is more startled, Miranda or Charlotte. Both of their eyes widen as the door slides shut behind Miranda. She quickly strides over to her desk. She types something quickly on the hologram on her desk and says, "What is it Charlotte?" She takes in the drying on Charlotte's cheek.

Charlotte says, "It was just this offie Tech who was being a jerk about Rivies and R.I.s. I just needed a second to breathe. Your office was the closest, and I figured you wouldn't mind, so...I'm sorry, Miranda." Charlotte begins to tear up again.

 “Don't let some Tech ruin your day. Besides, I did give your Notice code all time clearance for my office for a reason."

"Yeah, I guess. If I had known it was going to be a bad time, I wouldn't have come."

Miranda smiles, “It doesn’t matter, I was just going to ask for Piper to meet with me. We have some...important things to discuss. So, if you don't have anything else planned for the day…"

Charlotte nods, “I’ll just go to the Odds and help out for today or until you are done with Piper. Bye Rebs.”

She strides out of the room, her eyes still rimmed in red, leaving me alone with Miranda. I try to gage her mood, but she’s unreadable.

"Have a seat.”

I sit on a hard metal chair in front of her desk.

What could she be so mad about? Is it something I've done? 

She starts immediately, "Who is the girl Eeke?"

"Bridget. 990."

"The boy?"

"Canton. I don't know his number."

She nods. "About your story, is there anyone else in the Unknown or who should be in the Unknown, that you know?"

"I know, Dana, Bridget, Canton, and there should be a Rivie named Josh that came here the same day as I."

Miranda begins typing in her hologram. "There's no Rivie here named Josh. Either he never got sent to the Unknown or he's with the Ecru."

Josh with the Ecru? It's possible, the Officials might have caught on to some of the things he did. Will he be like Canton when he’s released?  

 I need his help. He may have a better idea on where we might find the message from the rebellious Officials. I don’t know when or where to expect it.

Miranda continues, "How can I be sure that your story is true?"

I run my tongue over my straight teeth thinking. "There is no more proof I can give you. All I can say is that it's true."

Miranda narrows her eyes, "I'm beginning to get tired of the way you nonchalantly answer my questions. I expect you to take them seriously considering that I am the Leader here."

I shrink back in my chair. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful. I just didn't know how to respond.  I want to give Miranda an honest answer, but I can't. 

Miranda continues, "I still don't completely believe your story. We’re going to visit Bridget and Canton. Bridget hasn't uttered a single word since she saw you. They have moved Bridget and Canton to separate rooms. And-"

A beep echoes through the room. Miranda glances at her Notice. “Sorry, I thought I had it on vibrate…”

Her eyes scan the message. She bursts to her feet, "We need to get to the Nurse department as fast as we can. Canton is conscious and he's trying to attack the Nurses. They can't get any sedatives into his blood stream. He disconnected the line."