Chapter Seven

"Yes." I say.

Bridget relaxes and lies back down. She closes her eyes. She doesn't ask me for proof.After a couple minutes, her breathing slows as she falls asleep. 

I raise my eyes weakly to Miranda. She motions for me to follow her out of the sliding door, into the hall. She fiddles with her Notice, pressing buttons and typing on the invisible light keyboard. 

Andy, the small boy, walks past us and enters the room of Bridget and Canton. I follow Miranda down the hall. We pass Milla, she is snoring slightly with her head on her knees. Miranda smiles slightly at this.

"We'll let her sleep for a couple of minutes. Of course she will be mad at me for letting her sleep, but everyone else can cover for her. Someone can wake her up when she's needed."

I don't say a word as Miranda and I walk through the maze of hallways to her office. Miranda marches through the sliding door to her office and begins pacing almost instantly. I stand awkwardly in front of the door, not sure what I should do with myself.

"Tell me the whole story. Now."

Keep the rebellious Officials out of it, I command myself. But how can I explain knowing Bridget, if I have had the red memory shot? Sienna wants her immunity to the shots a secret, so I can't use that story as my excuse. The rebellious Officials don't want me to reveal them until they have given their first message to me. I don’t even know they are going to get that message to me.

I'm saved by the sound of the door sliding open. 

I whirl around to see who is at the door. 

The boy that yelled at Dana and I earlier today has enters.

Miranda asks, "What is it, Christopher?"

Her voice is tight with suppressed anger. There's obvious tension between them.

Christopher smirks, "It's private. Something this little Rivie couldn't handle." He glances at me disdainful. I fight the urge to snap back at him. 

Miranda steps forward, "Can it wait? This is also rather important business-"

Christopher waves his hand carelessly and interrupts, even though Miranda technically has more authority, "I can assure you this is much more important."

Miranda presses her lips together and nods stiffly. "Okay. Let me just send a Notice to Dana to come pick Piper up."

"It's inconvenient, of course, but I will deal with it. I suppose, this Rivie would need an offie escort. She seems to be getting a lot of special attention from you. Two meetings in one day. I'd say that's favoritism, but..." He trails off, smirking.

Miranda begins typing on her Notice. "Piper," She looks at me, "we will be meeting again to discuss this further, maybe we will-"

Christopher speaks sarcastically over Miranda, "Another offie meeting. Why, you must really be something special."

Miranda doesn't show any reaction to the comment.

Christopher continues, "So, Rivie, what's so offie special about you? What did you do that's so offie special to get sent here?"

I glance at Miranda, unsure if I should respond. Miranda gives me a short shake of her head, so I decide to ignore him.

Christopher sneers at my disregard to his question, "What's the problem, Rivie? You afraid of me? Can you offie talk? Is that why you're so special? You can't offie talk?"

I keep my eyes down. Christopher continues to scoff at me, but his expression falters slightly when I don't respond at all.

Miranda steps forward, "Christopher, knock it off."