Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

We exit the Fields and walk back through the halls.  Dana stops in front of the Kitchens door, already her bubbly, giggly self, “Bye, Piper. It was great talking to you.”

I nod, trying to hide my slight annoyance with the act, and walk away. I send a quick Notice to Charlotte.  Done with Miranda. Meet in Eating Hall?

I continue walking towards the Eating Hall as I wait for a respond.

It comes quickly. Great, be there in five minutes or so.

I arrive at the Eating Hall and sit at an empty table, tapping my fingers on the table.

Miranda’s old Complex roommate never recovered, no wonder Miranda cares so much about the Eekes.  If Miranda truly believes the ‘evidence’ she has against me, I could be charged with an Examination.  What even is the 'evidence' that Miranda supposedly has against me? Who gave it to her? Who would even know any ‘evidence’ against me? The only people that really know me are Dana and somewhat Charlotte? Did Bridget say something while she was still recovering that made me look like a liar?

My thoughts end as someone sits next to me. I turn, expecting Charlotte, but see Christopher instead. I try to swallow the fear that is slowly rising in my throat.

This is the first time I’ve ever been alone with Christopher. I barely know anything about Christopher, and all of the information I do have is negative.  Christopher wants to be the Leader of the Unknown once Miranda turns twenty and dies, and will do anything to get it, even blackmail.

Christopher grins at me, but it looks more like he is baring his teeth.  I decide that I’m not going to let his little tricks and fear tactics get to me.  I can only hope that my fear doesn’t show on my face as I smile innocently at him and say, “Yes?”

Christopher narrows his eyes, “You’re the new Rivie, right? The one that has been getting all of Miranda’s attention lately?  The one who knows the two dead Eekes?”

I’m not sure whether Christopher is supposed to know whether I know the Josh and somewhat Seth. I don’t want to give away any information to him.

I just shrug.

This seems to make Christopher even more annoyed. He doesn’t even try to keep the attempted smile on his face. It drops quickly and is replaced by a sneer.

I swallow again, hoping that he doesn’t notice.

Much to my dismay, his sneer grows. He sees right through my ‘bravery’ act.

My hands begin to sweat.  Christopher is on the Council, he could have the power to bring me to an Examination, too.

Christopher leans back in his chair and sets his feet up on the table.  He turns his head to me, “So, Rivie, how did you offie manage to meet those dead Eekes.”

I stare mutely back.  I can’t give away any information that Christopher isn’t supposed to know. I don’t want to make Miranda hate me even more.