Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"What? What are you talking about?" Edwin asked, his voice tinged with genuine surprise.

"Ed, you don't trust me. You yelled at me in public, berated my friends and my family, and expect me to just accept this behavior? What happens if we're married? Will you refuse to speak to me for weeks if I speak to another man?" Corrie demanded, the bitter hurt resurfacing.

She was unsure if the pain she felt over Edwin's accusations was because she was truly hurt by his suspicions or because loyalty to him had already cost her so much. Either way, she struggled to envision a future in which he was constantly jealous and untrusting.

"Cornelia," Edwin responded, his voice now anxious, "I told you, it was a misunderstanding. I think you're overreacting. Besides, you need to be realistic about this. If you end our engagement, you'll be the subject of scandal. It's practically unheard of for a woman to end an engagement, and everyone knows that you are lucky to have captured my affections." Corrie was speechless, giving him time to go on. "I can offer you the life you've always wanted, the life most women would be thrilled to have. I can offer you comfort for the rest of your days, opportunities and friendships with the most important people in the country. If you break our engagement, you'll be challenged to find anyone willing to marry you, much less someone like me. Besides, you're no longer young, and though I find you quite pretty, most men would scorn a woman of your age and occupation."

"Are you done?" Corrie finally mumbled when he finished his soliloquy.

Her pride burned and Corrie now realized how he saw her: She was merely the sad old maid with no prospects and no future in need of someone to rescue her, someone to whom she would be forever indebted. He expected her to marry him and remain the quiet, well-behaved housewife for the rest of her days. He didn't see the virtues she hoped to possess: kindness, strength, intelligence, common sense.

"Quite. Now that we've discussed that, let us return to our plans for the future."
He thinks I could agree to marry someone so arrogant and condescending? Corrie shuddered and let him talk, her determination growing.

"You know that it's no longer appropriate for you to remain in your little hometown after all of the scandal before I departed. It's best for both of our reputations that we wed immediately and you move here."

"Edwin, I told you, I can't move there. I have to stay with Christina."

"No, you wish to stay with that doctor of yours. Trust me, this is best."

"No, I won't," Corrie declared.

She may be unable to stand up for herself, but for the sake of her sister, she would climb mountains. Corrie felt her resolution grow. She would not leave Christina. Perhaps she could surrender her own happiness to a manipulative socialite, but she would not sacrifice her sister's wellbeing.

"She needs me here," Corrie continued, "and I won't go."

Edwin's voice hardened and Corrie heard traces of the man she'd seen a few days before. "What do you mean you won't? We're engaged. You have no choice in the matter."

"I'm not leaving Christina."

"I refuse to share you," Edwin answered, voice deadly.

"Then it seems we're at an impasse," Corrie said, wanting to end the conversation and accept the fate that she knew her words had chosen.

"There is no impasse, only an ultimatum. You come to the city and marry me and enjoy the life I can offer you, or the engagement is off and you live the rest of your life alone. I've been understanding for months now, but this is the very last straw. Marry me, Cornelia."

Corrie's hands trembled at the moment of truth, the moment of choice. Though moments ago she had been undecided, wavering betwixt duty and desire, she now saw that she owed Edwin no allegiance if he gave her no respect. Corrie straightened her back, feeling the sense of freedom and resolve that she needed.

What do you want? she asked herself. Perhaps it didn't matter what she wanted but what she didn't want, and she did not want a future with Edwin where she was nothing but a silenced accessory.

"Edwin, I...I'm done. Come what may, I can't marry you."

The reasons why flooded into her mind: his disrespect, condescension, manipulation, jealousy, suspicion. She knew she would be happier by herself than with him. A weight lifted from her chest.

"Wh...what?" he sputtered disbelievingly. "You can't be serious. Are you mad? What possible reason could you have for refusing me?"

"You treat me like I'm nothing. You disparage me and my family constantly. You look down on me. I'm confident that we could never be happy together."

"You...you inane shrew!" Edwin fumed and Corrie almost laughed.

No insult he could hurl at her could be worse than those he had already offered under the guise of adulation. He continued, calling her vile names and accusing her of atrocities she could scarcely imagine much less deign to commit. Every insult was confirmation that she had made the right choice, and though she had destined herself to spinsterhood, there was a freedom that came with the acceptance of a fate that permitted individualism and independence.

"Edwin?" Corrie finally interrupted. With a triumphant smile, she said, "Goodbye."

~~~~~

WOOHOO! Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for: Corrie is free of Edwin! What did you think of this confrontation? What will happen next? Stay tuned for more later this week!

If you enjoyed this story, consider voting and leaving comments. Also, consider checking out some of my other work as well!

~ Hannah