Chapter Twenty Five

The noise of her mother and the cook arguing in the foyer awoke Corrie the next morning. She heard something about eggs and the price of bacon and rolled out of bed in a half stupor. Her parents had invited Edwin to join them for breakfast as well, impressed by the young man's charisma, affluence, and sycophancy.

    "Cornelia!" Anita screamed up the stairs. "It's nearly breakfast time!"

    Glancing in the mirror of her vanity, Corrie groaned. Her hair had matted into a bird's nest, and her eyes were shadowed, evidence of her fitful sleep. How was she supposed to sleep well with Edwin flattering his way into her parents' good graces? After last night, they would certainly give him permission to marry her if he so desired. With a sigh, Corrie pinned up her hair and slipped on her best dress, the blue satin.

    During the previous evening, she had seen glimpses of the Edwin she had so admired. He was kind to everyone in her family despite Christina and Jack's barbs, and he fawned over her as much as ever, but his words seemed more vacuous than they had before. Before what? She refused to follow that line of thought.

    Slipping on her boots, Corrie rubbed her eyes and joined her parents downstairs. Anita was fussing with lilies picked for the dining room table.

    "Cornelia, good morning!" Oliver said, offering her a smile.

    Corrie couldn't remember the last time her father had been so excited to see her. "Good morning, Father," she responded, stifling a yawn with a hand over her mouth.

    "Please allow me to say how proud I am of you for finding such an amiable and genteel young man. Your mother and I approve wholeheartedly," Oliver said, taking on the role of doting father.

    "Thank you, Father."

    "Now you just need to convince him to buy you a ring and move you to New York!" he exclaimed gleefully, and Corrie felt her stomach somersault.

    That's exactly what I'm afraid of. It wasn't that she didn't want to marry Edwin, she just knew that she wasn't ready to move back to New York City. That was the only reason.

    Corrie was grateful when a knock came at the door signifying his arrival. Mr. Bricker invited him in, and Edwin kissed Corrie on the cheek before greeting her parents, bowing to Anita and then shaking Oliver's hand.

    "Good morning, Mr. McAlister!" Oliver declared as wind swept from behind Edwin, carrying a strong whiff of the smell of rotten meat. "By George, what is that smell?"

    Edwin's face puckered and reddened a bit. "I do apologize, I'm afraid that's me. Some rotten bratwursts were left in my hotel room and I seem to have contracted the scent."

    Corrie stifled a laugh; such a prank must certainly be attributed to her Aunt Jack though she had no idea where she'd found rotten bratwursts. By Edwin's expression, he did not find it so amusing.

    Taking him by the arm, Anita assured him, "Oh, don't worry about it, Mr. McAlister. Please come have a seat. We have sugar cured ham, and..."

    Corrie became lost in thought as Anita detailed every delicacy being served for their repast. Edwin's seamless fit with her family comforted Corrie; perhaps her loyalty to Edwin was warranted after all. If they did marry, she and Edwin would always be welcome in her parents' home even if they did return to the city. Corrie tried to envision a life with Edwin, but all she could elicit was a mirky mirage of lavish ball gowns and opulent parties.

    After breakfast, Corrie convinced Edwin to accompany her to see Christina. As they walked through the cobblestone streets of Irvington arm-in-arm, Corrie prayed that Dr. Benjamin would once again be called away on business. By this point, he must be aware that Edwin was in town. If Hannah, Jack, or Christina hadn't told him, certainly one of the gossips of the town who had seen them together must have shared the revelation. She could only imagine the speculation about Edwin burning through the small town like a wildfire. Her father would be in his element.