Chapter 15: The lost brother

Start from the beginning

My uncle fell silent, letting his words sink in. He stepped towards us carefully, his eyes shining with hope. "Please, I don't want to hurt you. We don't have to fight. Just join me and you'll see that I'm right."

"No, I won't." I decided, looking at my uncle defiantly. "Our powers weren't given to us so we could use them to subject other people to our will. They were given to us to save them instead when they need us. Arthas, he would only destroy them all. I won't stand idly by as you bestow tyranny on the galaxy!"

"Oh, my dear Lyanna." My uncle sighed deeply. "You never could see our capabilities. Just like your father, you put too much worth to your honour."

"At least I don't betray my own family, uncle." I spat the last word, anger taking fear's place. "I will never join you."

"It's a pity, you had such potential." Derik said and then turned towards Aidan. "How about you? Do you choose her side instead of mine? Do you prefer defeat and solitude over power and victory?"

"I... She..." Aidan hesitated, glancing between me and Derik quickly. He then sighed, closing his eyes as his shoulders visibly sunk in defeat. "She's my sister, uncle, you have to understand I... I can't."

Derik looked like he took a shot to his heart, his eyes wide open and filled with hurt and pain. He quickly recovered though, his mouth set in a straight line. "So be it."

He turned around swiftly, his long cape swaying out behind him as he strolled towards the prison. "Get the cage out of here and defeat anyone who stands in our way!" He ordered his men. He slowly turned towards us again, his eyes darkening as they narrowed at us two. "Within a few minutes this machine is going to blow up the entire palace. We will have taken the prison out of here before that. My dear gentlemen, today is the day we start our rebellion. The age of the Stormrages is over."

Around 5 of his men stayed put while the others carried the cage as several gryphons lifted it up using strong, thick ropes. The 5 men pointed their weapons right at us, daring us to do something against them.

"We need to make sure father is okay." Aidan stepped back slowly, his hand going up to his earpiece. "Dickon, I need you and your men to come with me to the king immediately!"

"Wait, Aidan!" I protested but was too late, the gush of wind that was caused by the flipping of his wings as he flew up almost knocking me over. "Goddammit." I cursed and turned towards the cage, eyes narrowing in determination.

"Lyanna, some of our men just started attacking us out of the blue and there are even more troopers than before. We're outnumbered. What the hell is happening?!" Stefan's voice rang in my ear.

"Thank thorn you're not with them!" I answered him while trying to find a way to destroy the ropes. "Look, just get the men you still have out of there and back towards Eagle's Fall. I will deal with Arthas."

"Great idea. We've got one problem though: how do we know the good guys from the bad guys?"

"If they're trying to kill you they're bad!" I answered as I swung my wings, carrying me up 5 feet in one swift movement as I raised my sword at the same time. I was about to bring it down onto a rope when hands grasped my waist and pulled me down to the ground.

I hit the floor hard, sending shots of pain throughout my entire body. With the half of my face lying on the ground, I saw a pair of black boots coming my way quickly.

"I said I didn't want to hurt you," his rough hands grasped my wings at the place where they sprung from my back, lifting me up in the air as I screamed out in pain. "But you're making it extremely difficult."

"Uncle, stop this mad-" before I could finish I was thrown away harshly, my body hitting the floor again. I heard the flashing of his sword and grasped mine too, getting up on my knee and lifting it before my face just in time.

The muscles of my arms whined as they tried to keep my uncle's sword from splitting my face in half, his face close to mine. "Uncle, please." I begged, trying not to fall to the ground under his immense force.

He was way stronger than I was and we both knew it. I wouldn't be able to defeat him in single combat. We both knew he could kill me any second, which he would judging by the look in his eyes.

"You made a choice, now accept the consequences." He snarled, blasting my sword from my hand and forcing me back to the ground.

As a last resort, I tried to blast him away but hr trapped my hand under his boot before I could do so. I'm going to die. shit, this is it. If father hears about this, he won't possibly make it either.

"Any last words?" My uncle said as he held his sword against my neck while towering over me.

"You will never be king." I narrowed my eyes defiantly, refusing to beg for my life. When he lifted his sword I closed my eyes, bracing myself for my upcoming death. God, I was terrified. I had never been so fearful in my life. It wasn't only for myself, but also for my people. I had no way to defend them from my uncle if I was gone.

And never had I been so surprised when I heard Derik's surprised gasp. I opened my eyes immediately, seeing the tip of his sword hover just above my face as he was desperately trying to bring it down further.

When both our eyes connected Derik was suddenly blasted back as if shot by a cannon ball, flying back a few metres before his body could hit the ground.

I glanced to the side and gasped in surprise when I saw my saviour standing just few feet away. "Obi-Wan?" I frowned and watched how he had his arm lifted and his eyes narrowed at my uncle.

"I believe there's been a small misunderstanding, my dear princes." His eyes landed on me and I swear I saw a small smile forming on his lips. "Anakin, take care of the uncle, please."

"You got it master." Anakin lifted his lightsaber and stormed towards Derik who had just managed to get on his feet. The two engaged into a heavy fight, but it was clear that Derik would win in the end.

"Thank you." I stuttered after I had taken Obi-Wan's outstretched hand. I lanced at him warily as if he were a ghost, trying to figure out his intentions.

"Are you okay?" He didn't let go of my hand which he had used to pull me up while his other hand softly pressed against the side of my cheek.

"I am now." I looked at him as if it were the first time, taking in his delicate features and the kindness in his eyes as he held me firmly.

"Cody, listen carefully." His eyes remained on me as he spoke into his commlink. "Tell your men to Stop attacking the Valerians. You need to pull back immediately, no single shot will be fired again, understood?"

I heard a short reply coming from his earpiece as I stared at him in wonder. "Stef-Stefan." I stuttered under Obi-Wan's gaze. "Don't harm the troopers. Not anymore."

"What? What the hell is going on out there?! First, we need to kill them, then my own men betray me and now there's a cease-fire?! I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS-"

I cut off his complaint as I shut off my commlink. Obi-Wan nodded at me thankfully and let go of my arm, taking a few steps back.

"He fled." Anakin interrupted us before Obi-Wan could speak. He came to stand next to us, glancing back and forth between Obi-Wan and me as if he knew what just happened.

"So, feathers." Anakin cleared his throat awkwardly. "I guess we were off to a bad start."

"We all were." I sighed as I glanced at the now empty cage, seeing the right lights flicker to signal the upcoming explosion.

"So, No hard feelings?" Anakin chuckled. "After all, it was all a trap set by your uncle apparently."

"If only it were that easy." I mumbled, starting to walk towards the entrance of one of the many passages beneath the palace. "We need to get out of here before the bomb is going to explode or else we'll be buried alive."

"Is she with us now?" I heard Anakin whisper to Obi-Wan just loud enough for me to hear.

"I sure do hope so."