The Jig

Erik POV
Ramin and Lily chased each other through the streets making our way back to the stables. It was warming my heart to watch them giggle at each other. Ramin truly was a going to become a fine young man someday, he was a hyper child now but that mattered non the less. It was funny how much the loathing she had for him had blossomed into a friendship.
"Whats that music?" Lily said stopping out of breath from running after Ramin,
"It must be coming from the stables. Its Friday night, we always have music on Friday nights when everyone is done for the night" Ramin said explaining. I had heard of the parties they would have but had never witnessed them. Ramin raced towards the stables with Lily on his heels, then i heard the music as well. As we tuned the corner i saw the barn doors open to reveal many people inside dancing away to the music. In the front of the room there were men playing fiddles, banjos, banging on drums. The sound was different... it sounded Irish almost.
"Papa!" Ramin cried running towards a man standing outside. Dante stood there talking amongst others, he seemed to be nursing a drink in his left hand and a cigarette in the other.
"Ah there he is" Dante said kneeling down as his son ran into his arms. "Did you have a good time?" He asked
"Oh yes Papa. Mr Destler took us on all the rides in the park, we went out to eat and Lily had be try fish for the first time. We watched the fireworks from the beach as well" Ramin said beaming,
"Did you behave yourself?" He asked. Before Ramin could even answer I said
"He was a delight, your raising a fine your man" Dante hearing this hugged his son tighter before placing him on the ground.
"Mr- I mean Erik. Thank you for taking him today. He always begs me to take him around the park but we are always so busy we have never found the time" he said,
"It was no trouble at all" i said. "Now i suppose we must be on our way" i said taking Lily's hand in mine,
"Wait! Please stay for a bit. We have plenty to drink and the music is just starting. Please Erik, I insist" he said approaching me. I wasn't really one for parties. I never have actually been to one, unless crashing a masquerade counted.
"Please father may we?" Lily said pleasing, and pouting her lips at me. I couldn't say no,
"Well... I suppose we could stay for a bit" I said. She released my hand and ran to Ramin,
"Come on lets go dance!" He said dragging her inside the door of the barn. They ran off to the crowd of people dancing, i watched them until they disappeared out of sight making me anxious of losing her,
"Don't worry they'll be fine" Said Dante placing his hand on my shoulder easing my nerves a bit. "Now what can I get you to drink?" He asked leading me into the barrels of liquor they had inside.
"Erm, do you have a scotch?" I asked
"Ah, a scotch man like myself" he said picking up a glass and pouring me some of the golden colored liquor.
"There we are" he said handing me the drink,
"Thank you" i said,
"Dante!" A woman called him from across the room,
"Excuse me" he said leaving me alone. I watched the people around me laughing, dancing and chatting away. As i stood there i noticed something. There wasn't a single person staring at me, no on. It seemed nobody cared that there was a strange masked man standing there. The feeling calmed me, it was different.
"Mr Y?" A young man said from behind me, i tuned looking at him. He had a mustache and his hair was shaggy. I had seen him around before. "I didnt take you as one for parties mate" he said filling his drink. Patrick Smith he works in the repair shop i thought to myself remembering the man. I had helped him figure out an issue with the lights on the ferri wheel a few weeks back. He seemed like a good, hard working young man.
"Im really not, my daughter is a friend of Dantes son. She begged me to stay" i said chuckling taking another sip of my drink.
"Oh the one in the blue dress I assume" he said standing beside me watching the crowd. I nodded,
"She's adorable" he said. She certainly was. She and Ramin were dancing along to the rhythm, so much joy in their eyes.
"Thank you" i said. We conversed for a bit longer, talking about various projects for the future of the park.
"Father!" i heard Lily say racing over to me. Her forehead was beaded with sweat from dancing,
"Yes my love" i said bending down to look at her,
"Dance with me please!" She begged grabbing my hand and jumping up and down.
"Oh, my love im not much of a dancer" I said, she looked disappointed.
"Please?" She said again
"Another time" i stood up to continue my conversation but instead
"Oh dance with your child" Patrick said urging me,
"Pleeaseeeeeee" she said begging me.
"Oh i suppose " I said sighing and shooting Patrick a look of displeasure which he returned with a hearty laughter. I took off my jacket and placed it on the hay bail next to me. Lily dragged me into the center of the room, grabbing both my hands. I felt very awkward at this time. The only dancing i had ever really done was, well embarrassingly in front of my mirror when i was younger. When my original plan for the masquerade was to go in disguise and dance with Christine. That didn't work out well....
Lily's laugh was infectious that night. She laughed and smiled as I twirled her around the room as the music played. We caught the attention of many that night, not for the reason of my mask. But only the sight of a man dancing with his daughter.
We spent many more Friday nights like this. Dancing the night away at the stable parties. I knew that as the years passed she wouldn't be a little girl any longer, but mature into a woman.
I wanted to hang onto my little girl for as long as possible...