The baby thing.

She knew. Of course, she did. She knew that we were trying to conceive a baby for the last three years and it hadn't worked.

And she rubbed it in every time she could.

Usually Scott talked to her whenever it was needed and I only saw her at official events. If I could avoid her, I totally would. Especially since the last year, when she almost made me cry publicly when she asked me if I couldn't have babies on an interview. After that moment, I knew that she was truly a heartless woman and that she indeed despised me.

I also knew that it was her problem. I wouldn't be like her...I had no intention to live bitter and miserable because I wasn't able to fulfill one of my biggest dreams, to be a Mom.

I had Scott at my side every time I did a pregnant test and it came out negative...

Every time was more frustrating than the last one...

Every time my heart broke...

...and every time Scott was there for me...

It was also hard for him. He tried to be supportive and told me countless times that we didn't really need a baby, but I could see the sadness in his eyes when the test came out negative. He always held me as I cried in his arms and I could see the tears in him as well...

We went to different doctors. They tested us both. Apparently, everything was fine with both of us. They usually told us to stop stressing about it and that it would eventually happen.

...but every month it was agonizing to see that it still didn't happen...

Four months ago, Scott found me crying because I had gotten my period once again. He sat beside me and told me how much he loved me and how much it hurt to see me like that. We had a long talk about it and decided to stop the agony and start the process to adopt a child. I, more than anyone else, knew that those kids needed love and we were desperate to give it.

It was also a first in the Royalty circle. We would be the first couple to adopt a child and the Queen had obviously thrown a fit over it. I just didn't care anymore. She stopped complaining about it when her advisors told her that it would look good in the public eye. That really shut her up.

All in all, Scott and I had grown even closer with the whole baby deal. He was always there for me and I was there for him too. Since the moment I stopped stressing about the baby, I enjoyed even more every time we spent together. We had decided to take the adoption process slowly, we hadn't started it yet, but were planning to on January.

I think Scott wanted to give me some time to process it all.

Tonight was Christmas Eve and we were going to have dinner at my Mom's. Mark was invited too. Even Scott's father.

After the wedding, I had pestered Scott to no end to mend things with his father. I used the Queen's bitterness as an example to Scott. It worked. He didn't want to end up as messed up as his grandmother. He took the initiative to talk to his father. I remember that I was so proud of him when he did. Turns out that his father was also as proud as Scott, but didn't want to end up like his mother, so he did an effort too.

The first meetings were awkward and they really didn't talk much other than the weather or the economy. Stuff like that. The turning point was when we realized that we couldn't have babies. George had been really supportive to Scott and that broke the wall between them, for once and for all.

They were now really close. 

I watched mesmerized at the twinkling white lights on the tree as I remember all we had been through together.