Chapter 4

It was almost noon when the taxi driver pulled up in front of my parents’ house.  We paid the driver and stepped out of the car. A tired yawn escaped my lips as we made our way towards the front door and I covered my mouth to stifle the yawn. We started a little late despite our plan to start early. Although I took a nap during the car ride, I felt really tired.

Before I could press the door bell, the door burst open revealing my mother and I was engulfed in a tight motherly hug.

“Mom, can’t breathe,” I told her, chuckling.

She quickly let go of me and smiled at me sheepishly. “I am so happy to see you, sweetie. I missed you!” 

I smiled and gave her a quick hug. “Me too,” I told her honestly.

“Hello Alice,” Lisa stepped into her view and gave her a quick hug. My mom looked surprised to see her and gave me a look.

“You did not tell me about Liz coming over,” she told me accusingly.

“Sudden change of plans,” I shrugged and she rolled her eyes. They exchanged greetings and my mom looked really excited to see Lisa after long time. She really likes Lisa, and there are moments I tease her saying she loves Lisa more than me.

“Are we going to stand here the whole day or we are allowed inside?” Lisa asked jokingly.  My mom hit her hand playfully and opened the door widely while we made our way inside.

“Mom, where is Addy?” I asked her quizzically. Adelyn was nowhere to be seen and I was getting a bad feeling about it. My mom’s face dropped a bit and she looked a little scared.

“Um, Addy was sick yesterday and she didn’t sleep properly in the night. She is fine now, and is sleeping in her room,” she told carefully, but all I heard was ‘she was sick’ and I was half way up the stairs by the time she finished her sentence.

I slowly opened the door to Adelyn’s room without making any noise and stepped inside. The room was dim with the curtain covers blocking the sunlight from entering. I stopped near her bed and looked at her sleeping figure. Her chest was heaving up and down in a rhythmic pace and she looked so innocent and serene in sleep. I sat beside her and placed my palm on her forehead to check her temperature. Her body was warm, but with no sign of fever. I let out a sigh of relief.

Adelyn, my world for the last four years; the angel who brightened my world when I almost gave up on life. When I learned that I was pregnant, I panicked and did not want to add more problems in my already messed up life. I even planned to get rid of the baby. That was when Lisa informed my parents about it. I was worried about their reactions, but they were really excited when they heard that they were becoming Grandparents. They pulled a tantrum when they heard about my decision to undergo abortion, and talked me against it. Now when I think about it, I am glad that my parents interfered at the right time and my beautiful angel is in my life.

I placed a soft kiss on her forehead and started to run my fingers through her messy light brown hair. Her pale figure squirmed a little in sleep. My chest twisted painfully seeing how tired she looked.