Chapter 13

Please note that this chapter is not edited, so kindly excuse all the spelling/grammar errors. Happy reading J

I tapped my foot impatiently while staring at the Microsoft Lync window on my laptop. My eyes were  completely fixed on one name in the contact list. Ryan Collins. His presence status was ‘Inactive/Away’ since yesterday evening, and I haven’t even caught a glimpse of him from the moment I entered my office building an hour before. I didn’t even know if he was there in his office already, or he is coming late. I also didn’t know where we stand now, after what he revealed yesterday. A revelation that changed many things, especially our budding friendship.

I sighed and reached over for the office phone. I dialed Ryan’s extension number, but much to my dismay, the call went to his voice mail. I placed the receiver back on the cradle, and leaned back into the chair and closed my eyes. Images of last night flashed through my head, and I groaned and sat up straight in my seat. I hardly got any sleep last night, I stayed the whole night tossing and turning in my bed. The defeated look on Ryan’s face kept on haunting me. When the morning approached, I could hardly keep my eyes open, but that didn’t stop me from rushing to the office. I took a quick bath, and changed into the first pair of clothes I grabbed from the closet. I didn’t bother to apply any make ups, and drove to the office after leaving a quick note to Seth. My mind was set on one task, and I knew that if I reach the office before eight, chances of meeting Ryan without anyone interrupting was high, and barely anyone would be there before Eight Thirty. He always reaches office before eight, and I didn’t want to lose the opportunity to clear the tension between us. But it’s already Nine Thirty, but still no sign of Ryan.

A ding sound from laptop signaling the arrival of a new e-mail caught my attention, and I slumped further into my seat in disappointment when I read the content of the e-mail.

From: Collins, Ryan

To: tier3glprdsup

Subject: Out of Office

Hello Team,

I will be out of the office until next Monday, with limited access to E-mail or Voicemail. In my absence, please contact Ms. Carla James at +xxx xxxx xxxx or her email at CarlaJames@xxxxx.com in case of emergencies. I shall respond to your message promptly upon my return.

Thanks,

Ryan Collins

Senior Manager, Eagle Eye International

A lump started to grow in my throat when I read the email again. He is not going to come to work until Monday. How would I live with this burning guilt for another couple of days? No, I couldn’t do that. I picked up the receiver again, and dialed Keith, our Delivery Manager. He picked up the phone in two rings. I quickly told him that I was not feeling well, and I needed the day off from work. Without much persuasion, he agreed. I was surprised, how could he let me off the hook so easily when Ryan was on leave. But then he went on explaining how awful I looked when he spotted me near the Vending machine a little while back. Well, that made sense. After mumbling a quick ‘thank you’, I hung up, sent an e-mail to the team informing my absence from work today, and packed my stuffs in a hurry and headed out.