Chapter 15

Kayla's P.O.V.

I opened my eyes to see the clear blue sky of a summer day.

A warm breeze blew my hair from my face.

I heard a giggle that made it so I instantly knew I was dreaming.

My head snapped around, and I saw a girl with her loose curls bouncing everywhere.

Giggling again, she turned and looked at me.

"Hi Kayla!" She exclaimed, and my hands flew to mouth.

"Annie," I choked out.

She threw her arms around my neck.

A single tear rolled down my cheek as she pulled away.

"Oh, don't cry. If you cry then I'll cry, and we'll both look like raccoons," she laughed.

It rang like a bell through the meadow.

"Hey girls!" Allison exclaimed, running into the opening with Stella and Rachel right behind her.

"Hey!" Annie chirped.

We got to talking and were soon sitting around a small pond.

"I miss you guys," she sighed, and tears welled up in my eyes again.

"We miss you too," Rachel assured her, her voice cracking.

Annie seemed to realize that Rachel was voicing all of our thoughts.

"Oh come on, you have some very, very attractive guys to keep you company," she giggle, and my entire body stiffened.

Her demeanor changed from cheery to grim in less than a second.

"Please, don't ruin the reunion by talking about them," I requested coolly.

"By talking about whom?" Tyler asked, pushing his way into the meadow with the boys behind him.

Annie's face lit up in its old familiar way, and even I had to smile a little at the boys.

"I don't care what these guys did my lovelies," she whispered in an overly loud voice,"look at their faces and bodies and forgive them,"

I was about to tell what they had done when a soft click woke me from my dream.

The click was a specific sound that I knew well; it was the sound of someone picking a lock.

I grabbed my gun from under my pillow and swung quickly and quietly down to the floor.

Clicking the safety off, I touched Allison gingerly on her right ear.

Her eyes opened instantaneously, and she looked at me quietly in alarm.

{Let me explain something really quick.

Me touching her ear sounds weird, but we had come up with that years ago.

If one of us woke up to the sound of danger, we would wake the others on the ear and they would awaken and stay quiet.}

I motioned to the door, and I saw her face change when she heard the sound.

Just as I was about to wake up the others, I heard the lock give way.

In complete silence, I motioned for her to stay quiet and lay down.

She obeyed as I flew to the corner.

The door opened in complete silence and a masked figure stepped in.

I was at the dangerous disadvantage of adrenaline being the only thing to keep me awake.