Chp 16- Rekindling Old Flames

I wanted to speak, but no words managed to escape my lips. Out of all people, the last that I expected was Mrs. Gaines. She'd always been like a mother figure to me throughout Damien and I's entire relationship. She damn near treated me as if I were her own. I quickly slid the picture into my purse and fixed myself as Officer Briggs re-entered the room, holding two cups of coffee, one in each hand.

"I figured you could use this. How's it coming along?"

I hoisted my Louis Vuitton bag onto my right shoulder and shook my head, placing a frown onto my lips before retrieving the cup of coffee from his hand, thanking him during the process.

"It's just not ringing a bell."

He gave me a look of pity before pursing his lips together.

"Alright. We can investigate further, but if you hear anything, make sure to give us a call. We can use any information that we can get."

I nodded in understanding and began heading towards the door.

"Of course. If anything comes up, i'll be sure to call."

I damn near ran to my car, trashing the seemingly three day old black coffee. I knew it was probably wrong of me to lie, and with-hold information, but I had to figure this out on my own. If Damien's mother was arrested, then I may never figure out why she had chosen to do what she'd done. As a matter of fact, the entire case might go into ruins if I left it up to the police, considering her family name, and her position on the social status. Not to mention that her son was one of the most notorious lawyers in all of ATL.

I debated upon calling August, but quickly decided against it, considering that he'd probably do something that would land either himself, or Mrs. Gaines in a cell. Taking a deep breath, I dialed Baby's number before pulling onto the main high way.

"Bitch, why you just now callin' me? I thought we was goin' for lunch today."

I sighed. "I know, I know. I'm sorry, it's just been a long ass day. But listen, i'm gonna tell you something, and I need you to remain calm, okay?"

"Mhm. Gon' 'head."

I explained my recently acquired discoveries, and as presumed, Baby failed to maintain a state of tranquility.

"Bitch are you out your rabid ass mind?! Let's go set fire to this dusty ass bitch right now!"

I shook my head as if he could see me.

"No, Baby. I can't draw attention to the fact that I know it was her."

He sucked his teeth through the receiver. "You mind explainin' to me one more time why you ain't turn this bitch in?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because that would ruin everything. If she knows that I know, then i'll never get her to admit to anything."

There was silence between the two of us as Baby let the information sink in.

"So will you help me?"

He scoffed. "Girl, I don't think this is a good idea. You need to tell August, and then get her ass dealt wit'."

I shook my head once again. "You know I can't do that. His ass would catch a case."

Baby huffed through the phone before speaking again. "Yo ass is crazy, but you my girl, so you know i'm ridin'."

I smiled, despite the situation. "Alright, i'll be there in ten minutes."

-----------------------------------------------------