Chapter 28

On Monday morning Gabe offered to drive me to school, which always turned out to be a lot more hectic than anticipated. At ten to eight I was standing in the doorway yelling at Gabe who was still doing something upstairs.

"If we don't leave right now, I'll be late Gabriel!"

"Stop screaming at me woman! I can't find my suit jacket" he yelled back

"I have it right here!"

"Why didn't you say so earlier!"

"I did say so earlier. Ten minutes ago in fact Mr Fox"

His grinning head popped up at the top of the staircase, "I love it when you say my name"

"Gah! You're insufferable!" I protested laughing.

When we finally made it to the school, he drove right by it.

"Gabriel. you missed the turn" I said, reaching up to hold my forehead, my gaze dropping to my wrist watch.

"I know. And so does your boss. I called in and took the morning off for you. There's something I want to show you"

I stared at him as he watched the road, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. "Why is that I'm always the last to find out?"

"It's a surprise"

Resigning myself to the fact that after all this time he still managed to get me i settled back into the seat and plucked down the visor to check my reflection. In my earlier haste I had messed up with the lipgloss and coated my chin in a shiny layer.

After ten minutes I recognised the way we were taking and looked over him with a confused frown, "why are we going to your office?"

He made an innocent face and pulled into the garage, parking the car before coming around to open my door, "Madam" he said grinning, making a sweeping motion with his arm.

We passed through the busy lobby, attracting interesting looks, before taking the lift to the third floor. His hand found mine, his thumb running across my knuckles in an excited manner.

Gabe took me passed the glass cubicles towards a large metal door that obstructed the view to what seemed like a construction site. He turned around to look at me, his eyes shining.

"May I present to you, the new Montessori, soon to be a standard feature in all hotels- east and west coast" he pulled back the steel door and revealed a near-finished, beautifully built kindergarten. Large windows had already been installed, allowing for lots of sunshine that reflected off the light wood floor.

My heart started beating faster as I stepped inside and marvelled at the child friendly environment that Gabe was creating. "You actually built a Montessori! I was kidding back when I suggested it Gabe" I laughed.

He closed the distance between us and put his arm around my waist, "I know, but I liked the idea. There was been demand for children's entertainment and education for people who stay here longer."

I turned in his arms and pressed a kiss to his lips, "I love it. It's not even finished yet and i can already tell that the kids are going to love spending time here"

He gave a small nod of appreciation, his eyes twinkling as he looked down at me.

"Now there's only one thing that's left to decide"

"What's that?" I asked, finding it hard to tear my eyes away from the soft pastel colours that been used to paint the walls.

"Who's going to manage all of these Montessori?"