Two Halves Make a Forbidden Whole

Start from the beginning

“I can believe that. You’re such a coward you ran after you did it. What kind of leader does that?” Cristiano commented afterward. That comment hit home though. I reached forward and yanked him into my face by his jacket. He didn’t back down however. He just glared at me.

“I am not a coward.”

“Oh so running like a bitch is not a coward?” I threw him back and went to turn away from them when a hand landed on my shoulder and ripped me around. I was met with Gio’s sunglasses.

“Leave me the fuck alone!” I said and pushed against him.

“You don’t get to run this time,” he whispered. The way his voice sounded made my body go slack. He sounded like pure sex for some reason and every part of my body was enjoying it.

“WHAT THE FUCK DID WE MISS!?” Sammy screamed and that got not only the Catalino’s attention but every other person’s in the pizza joint. Gio looked over at Sammy with a menacing face, but that way not my concern. My concern was that now that he was turned to the side I could see the blue and purple bruise that covered his eye. I yanked his sunglasses off and he looked back at me with a look I could decipher.

Self-hate.

“He kicked Gio’s pops’ ass and then fucking ran, so Enzo took it out on Gio,” Angelo hissed right in Sammy’s face. My heart practically shattered in my chest as I got a better look at Gio’s face and saw the cracked lip, the swollen nose, the bruised eye, and the bruises peeking out from beneath his sleeve as though someone had grabbed onto him too hard.

“Gio…” I whispered. He closed his eyes and bit his cracked lip. I reached up and touched his cheek. He winced but didn’t pull away. “I’m so sorry,” I said with some much sorrow and self-hate. I had caused this to happen by running. I did this to him.

Why the fuck did I have to care!?

“Your pops and mine got into an argument once you ran and your pops took up for you. He said you were only doing what he told you to do; take care of family.”

“He had a gun pointed at me though,” I said.

“It was pointed at my pops as soon as you were out the door,” Gio said. I grabbed his face tighter and bent down to inspect him better or so my mind was telling me. My heart wanted me to close the distance and kiss him but…I...can’t…

“Uh, you two have gotten close,” Leo said cutting through me and Gio’s moment. Gio ripped away from me and then fixed his jacket. “What did we miss?”

“Nothing,” Gio answered.

“We all still hate each other,” I finished.

“Now, don’t ever come near my pops again and I won’t come near you again,” Gio said. My eyes never left his as I nodded. He walked back two step and I turned around and began to walk away as well with my head in a totally different place from where my heart was. Everything was so screwy. Why can’t things just go back to the way things used to be? When everything made sense.

“Bitch!” Sammy yelled and I turned around just in time to see Sammy deck the shit out of Angelo. Georgie grabbed a hold of Cristiano, Lucca tackled Leo, and Ralph grabbed Francesco by his hair and kneed him in the face. I watched them all but looked for the head of honey brown hair that was so familiar to me. When I met his eyes finally he was trying to rip Sammy and Angelo apart.

I watched him stop trying to pull them away and then walk toward me with something in his eyes. As soon as he was close enough he ran at me and tackled me so hard we fell into the back room. I looked around with stars dancing behind my vision. Sam was nowhere in sight and that made me nervous as Gio sat up and straddled me.