Chapter 21: Pink & Gold Part III

Weeks went by and every night since then, Geonwu would come visit Eunah late at night and read his poems to her. Ji-eun attempted to approach him during the day and tried her best to win over Geonwu's heart, even going so far as to wear more jewelry and makeup but it wasn't enough. It was hard to steal a heart that had already been stolen.

Her letter, or rather 'Eunah's' letter to the prince had been sent out weeks ago and the younger Song maiden had been anticipating the prince's response. She didn't know how much longer she would be able to stand watching Geonwu and Eunah together.

Ji-eun was fixing her hair in front of the mirror in her room when her sister walked in, all glowing and smiles. 

The witch.

"Ji-eun, where are you off to?"

"I'm just going out."

"Say...do you believe in...true love?"

Ugh. It took everything not to gag right then and there.  "Not sure if I do. Why?"

"Well, you remember Geonwu, right?" Eunah explained as she nestled herself on the floor by Ji-eun's bed.

"Yeah.." The young female spat out coldly as she continued to avoid eye contact with her sister. She began to rummage through the drawers of her dresser, hoping her Phoenix hair pin would be in sight.

"I think he might be the one. We've been meeting up lately and...I finally think I've found the man of my dreams"

Crack!

The sudden sound had startled both girls and Ji-eun looked over to find that she had knocked over her mirror. It now lay at her feet completely shattered. She knelt down and began to pick at the glass, unmoving as her sister rushed to her side.

"Let me help yo-"

But no sooner did Eunah touch a single reflective piece did Ji-eun respond, slapping her hand away as she finally looked towards her sister. "GO AWAY!"

Eunah rubbed at her hand, appalled by her sister's reaction. "Ji-eun! What's gotten into you?!"

"YOU HAVE!" Ji-eun screamed back, finally having snapped. "YOU'VE BEEN A THORN IN MY SIDE FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER! EVERYONE IS ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT EUNAH! EUNAH THIS EUNAH THAT!" Ji-eun rose to her feet and pushed her sister back with as much force as she could. "AND JUST WHEN I STARTED FALLING FOR GEONWU, THE ONE THING I THOUGHT I COULD HAVE ALL TO MYSELF, YOU HAD TO GO AND STEAL THAT CHANCE FROM ME AS WELL! I HATE YOU!"

Eunah stumbled backwards but was able to catch her footing as she leaned against the doorframe. "Ji-eun...I had no ide-"

"JI-EUN! EUNAH! COME OUT HERE QUICK!"

Both girls stared into each other's eyes for a brief moment. Without saying another word to each other, the two females made their way out front and were both surprised to find a carriage showered in gold embellishments sitting at the front their house.

Their father stood before a much taller, lankier male dressed in a fine robe. One could come to the conclusion that this man worked in the palace of the Emperor. 

"Ji-eun! Eunah! A messenger has come bearing great GREAT news!" The Gong called out, his voice filled with bliss. 

The two girls continued to look confused as their father beckoned for his wife to come outside as well. Once everyone was present, the Gong proudly cleared his throat and presented his hand towards the messenger. "Please, repeat the exact words you told me"

With an obliged nod, the messenger turned to face the two young daughters, giving hint that one of them were the prime subject of this 'great' news. "The prince has decided to take in the eldest Song daughter as one of his many concubines. He has been intrigued by her beauty and will come the day after the third full moon to retr-"