v

Believer
word limit - 1500
points earned - 10

A calm darkness set over the granite cavern. The air was still and musky, the suffocating tranquility crowded the cave. Drops of pure light seeped from small cracks in the stone wall, and from little punctures in bark from a sturdy tree that covered the entrance. Small crevices crammed with foul-smelling leaves and saccharine berries dotted the far wall of the den. Stale prey and discarded bones were littered across the rigid floor, carelessly thrown into a pile of dead animals. The faint rumble of falling sediment rippled the peace of the cave, yet not completely breaking the thin sheet on silence. If it wasn't for the frantic scratches plastered into the burgundy wood, or the hushed group of battered cats sleeping in the darkest dip of the cave, the cavern would of get almost serene.

Lazily stirring awake, a large, grey, Scottish Fold with mahogany socks and an assortment of freckles on his face, opened his emerald eyes to the gloom. Inhaling the odorous scent of the cave, the muscular tom-cat smiled no danger. He got up slowly, and before long, the freckled cat spotted a thin, undersized tom, sitting uncomfortably on a piece of exposed slate beside the herb store. Forcing his tired paws to work, the broad feline padded towards the cat with no particular intention in mind. Faint echoes whispered throughout the granite den every time his aged paws hit the cool surface. Only a few strides away from the stunted tom, the folded-eared cat let out a small whisper.

"Lynxpaw, are you okay?" The small proclamation's noise bounced off the stone walls of the cave, echoing its soft message. Snapping his head to stare at the Scottish Fold, Lynxpaw jumped to his paws in fright. As he calmed down after realizing that it was only his friend, the mahogany-socked cat noticed ribs sticking out from his frail chest, likely due to undernourishment. He also noticed other small details that hinted at his lack of nutrition. The apprentice's eyes were dull, not like their usual vibrant burned umber, and his pelt looked faded, far from the sun kissed sandy colour that it once held. "H-hi Grizzlyfang. I'm surprised you're awake. All the others have been asleep for a long time." The warrior smiled awkwardly back at the apprentice. When the group was first trapped in the medicine cat's den, Lynxpaw urged all of them to stay awake for as long as possible because of the effects sleeping in a trapped cave could have. Unfortunately, everyone but the sandy apprentice submitted to the darkness almost immediately.

"Grizzlyfang, can you help me?" Lynxpaw asked, his voice suddenly becoming uncertain. "I-I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm eating the old prey, just like you and the rest, but I-I seem to be growing thinner. I c-can't stop feeling tired, m-my fur is falling out, and-" the medicine cat apprentice froze. Both tom-cats stared at his paw, which was shaking slightly. Grizzlyfang's face turned into a frown, his green eyes narrowing to slits. "Grizzly, I don't know what's going on. W-what's wrong with me?" Clicking his tongue, the specked warrior lifted his paw to feel a tender part of the sandy-coloured tom-cat's neck. Suddenly, the muscular warrior sighed. "I know what you have because I have it too." The temperature seemed to drop. "When I was younger, the old medicine cat, Canarycry, discovered that the cats in the clan were getting affected by an unknown cause. He figured out that salt could help it - don't ask me how - but he was right. That's why we depend on the pond in the forest. It's full of salt."

It was easy for Lynxpaw to connect the dots. Ever since the pond had been poisoned, no cat would have gotten any salt from there, yet warriors who fled to the mountains didn't need the pond, and the stone there had lustrous veins of the white rock hidden in it. "W-what did you do? You're strong! I want to know how I can be fixed." The small tom's eyes were suddenly brighter; the prospect of a cure gave him hope. Shaking his head, Grizzyfang shot him a piteous stare. "Sorry, son, you can't fix it, but you can manage it. Here, get comfortable, let me tell you a story."

The radiant sun shone high above the camp below. The day buzz of chattering cats filled the canopy of birch trees with bored mews. Sweet melodies from both songbirds and the wind set a lazy, blissful haze over the camp. Cats sat in groups of three or four, gossiping about the handsome young tabby from the bordering clan, how the deputy was getting older, and other chitchat topics that interested everyone. Well, everyone except one.

Lying down on the dewy grass inside of the apprentice den lay a chubby, folded-eared kitten with dull green eyes. His eyes followed the cats outside, but he did not dare to move. The greenleaf heat was too much for him to bear. Although he wasn't doing much physically, the young apprentice enjoyed eavesdropping into other cat's conversations and learning as much as he could. Did you know that Myrtletuft, the other clan's most feared (and handsome) warrior had died from a badger a few moons ago? The tom-cat now knew that thanks to a gaggle of she-cat apprentices. Shifting his body into a more comfortable position, he decided to eavesdrop on another cat's conversation that was a bit less sexist to tom-cats. Directing his one of hearing onto a group of senior warriors, the chubby cat starting hearing every word they were saying.

"Chervilpaw is a nightmare! Honestly, he's probably the laziest, unmotivated apprentice I've ever seen." proclaimed a raspy voice. The green-eyed kitten snorted to himself as the warrior kept on ranting about his brother. As the oldest cat in the clan, Azure-eyes could talk about anyone without repercussions. "Hey, Astercry, let's swap apprentices. At least yours has some potential under all of that fat." The apprentice's breath caught in his throat, his heart beating erratically and irregularly. They were talking about him now. "Ha! You think my apprentice has potential?! Maybe when he was a kit, but not anymore. He never eats yet always gains weight. I think he might be a kittypet." sneered Astercry. "He's always anxious, his muscles are weak, and he is more unfit than a nursing queen. Grizzlypaw is probably worse than Chervilpaw."

Grizzlypaw gasped. Was that really how his mentor thought of him?! The walls of the den seemed to be coming in on him; his paws started to become soaked with sweat. His eyes suddenly connected with his brother's mentor, her eyes fur of pity. Embarrassed and angry, the Scottish Fold marched to the darkest part of the den, shoved his muzzle into his paws, and wished that he never had a mentor. Embracing the sweet darkness, the tom-cat thought back to what his mentor said. Was he as weak as Astercry said? For the past few moons, the kitten had been gaining weight and slowly growing weaker, but he hadn't paid attention to the fact that he was hefty. Ignoring the happy talking and laughter, Grizzlypaw tried to fall asleep, yet his insomnia wouldn't let him have the sweet release.

"Hun, are you there?" Again, the raspy mew of Azure-eyes filed his ears. "The medicine cat, Canarycry, wants to see you." Getting up on unsteady paws, the apprentice stormed past the warrior and walked into the medicine cat den. A wave of tangy odours hit him as he walking through the entrance of the den, his nose automatically scrunched up in distaste. Small holes and ledges stuffed with foul-smelling leaves and an assortment of covered the left wall of the den. Suddenly, a hairless tom-cat with beady yellow eyes pushed past the chubby apprentice. "Follow me." Canarycry shot at the chubby apprentice, then left the den. Astounded, Grizzlypaw hurried after the bald tom-cat out of camp.

After a few hours of silent walking, the pair had reached the far end of the territory, the Cerulean Stream. It was a fairly long trek for the tom-cat's stubby legs, but Grizzlypaw surprisingly kept up a good pace. As the two came over and closer to the sapphire body of water, the Scottish Fold noticed a sable-and-white tortoiseshell standing on the other side of the bank. Finally, as the two got to the edge of the river, Canarycry explained why they were here. "Kid, this is one of our bordering clan's warriors. She can help you with your... weight." A tinkle of laughter came from the tortoiseshell, her breathy, feminine voice sounding like honey. "Thank you for that introduction, Canarycry." She smiled at the medicine cat.

"Now, Grizzlypaw, your medicine cat has taken me to you because I can help with your condition. Starting tonight, you will come to me on the half-moon, and we shall start a journey into your rehabilitation.

Before you ask, my name is Puddlestalk..."