ii

Starry, Starry Night
word limit - 750
points earned - 9

The sapphire sky was speckled with tiny bright balls of light. A dew-glistened moor underneath reflected the majestic sight above. The long, stalk-like grass was only interrupted by a small pool of pure light. Three cats appeared, all from opposite sides of the moor, each having a polar opposite appearance from the rest. There was a large, square-jawed, black Maine Coon, his pelt full of burrs from his journey. There was a skinny, lean, reddish she-cat, her eyes greener than the grass below her paws. Lastly, there was a regal, furless cat with dainty paws, tiny ears, and worry etched over his face. The only thing these cats had in common were the stars in their fur.

"Azure-eyes, Batear, great to see you," the large cat greeted his friends. "Why did you call me here?" The three cats were gathered around the star-filled pond, all talking at each other.

"Tell me as well!" the she-cat, or as the squared-jaw cat called her, Azure-eyes, chimed in. "I was awoken from an amazing sleep! Y'all know that I don't interfere with living cat problems." The furless cat growled slightly at her proclamation.

"Azure-eyes, you were an amazing warrior. It's time you actually do something in StarClan, aside from sleeping and hunting," Batear turned his gaze to the other tom, "and you, Myrtletuft, you should know. Your legacy is both brains and brawn. Are you saying you are dumb enough not to work it out?" The cat flicked his tail at the pair, silently telling them not to argue.

And so all three sat around the pool, looking into its depths. "A danger is coming to the clans. As we've seen in one, an untameable fire ravaged its lands. They unfortunately lost Sablefur, Waspfury, and Beepaw in the flames." A large reflection of red fire appeared in the pool, startling Myrtletuft and Azure-eyes. "We must pick a savior from each clan, and that's why you two are here. We are having trouble finding the last cat." The she-cat snorted at Batear. It was obvious that she wanted to be anywhere else but here, alas, she did not move from her uncomfortable position. "You, Myrtletuft, see the best in cats, and you, Azure-eyes, see the worst. Together, you two will decide the final savior."

The pool assumed the reflection of a small, white she-cat with calico markings on her face, flanks, and tail. Myrtletuft gave a faint smile and announced her name. "Koipaw, apprentice to Grizzlyfang. Nine moons old with one littermate, Beepaw. She's calculating and battle-smart-" the pool changed to a viewing of her battle training. Koipaw was batting at a striped apprentice twice her size. No matter what the striped cat did, she was always one step ahead. "-courageous-" again, the pool changed reflections. A terrifying scene of her rescuing her mentor from a falling tree. "-hard working-" Koipaw gathering moss without complaining when the other apprentices were mucking around. "And, more importantly, she's a leader." Lastly, the pool reflected her in the aftermath of the fire. It showed her thick, dappled coat covered with ash as she led a group of the remaining apprentices and young warriors out of the territory to find prey. "I could go on for many moons. This she-cat has many traits that I admire."

Suddenly a sneer erupted from the starry she-cat. "You always find the best in cats, don't you?" Azure-eyes stood up and directed her fiery gaze into the water. "Dishonest-" the starry filed pool turned dark as a reflection of Koipaw could be seen and heard, lying about the prey she caught, "-ambitious-" the scene changed to one of the calicoes and a gaggle of young warriors plotting the future and what would happen if the higher ranks died, "-selfish, provocative-" now, it showed Koipaw unwilling to share a small mouse with her brother, then taunting him to fight her, which he did. "She's rude, she's unfaithful, she's-"

"Enough!" commanded Batear." Both of you seem to have very different views of this apprentice." Myrtletuft nodded at this statement, while Azure-eyes let out a loud snort. "I have come to the decision that she will be viewed closely by you two. The pair of you will watch over her until next time." The furless cat ignored the squawks of protest that came from both of them as he sat up and turned away. He took three short steps then looked back at them. "Remember, beware the jealous, for they are like animals." He then walked away, leaving the two in question.