Happy Birthday Elizabeth Schuyler!

{Historical Info}
Warning: Very Long!

   Elizabeth Schuyler-Hamilton was born on August 9, 1757 in Albany, Providence of New York, British America. Sometimes called "Eliza" or "Betsey", she was co-founder and deputy director of the first private orphanage in New York City. She was the wife of American founding father, Alexander Hamilton. They got married in 1780, and stayed married untill his death in July 12, 1804. Even if their marriage wasn't perfect and rocky patches, they still stayed together. They had 8 children together, these including:

Philip Hamilton
Angelica Hamilton
Alexander Hamilton Jr.
James Alexander Hamilton
John Church Hamilton
William S. Hamilton
Eliza Hamilton Holly
Philip Hamilton II

  Her parents were Philip Schuyler
and Catherine Van Rensselaer Schuyler. She was the second oldest of 14 siblings, but only 7 made it to adulthood. The 14 siblings including:

Angelica Schuyler (1756–1814).

Margarita "Peggy" Schuyler (1758–1801).

Cornelia (1761–1762).

Unbaptized Twin to Cornelia (1761–1761).

John Bradstreet Schuyler (1763–1764)

John Bradstreet Schuyler (1765–1795),

Philip Jeremiah Schuyler (1768–1835),

Triplets (1770–1770, Unbaptized).

Rensselaer Schuyler (1773–1847).

Cornelia Schuyler (1776–1808).

Cortlandt Schuyler (1778–1778).

Catherine Van Rensselaer Schuyler (1781–1857),

Early Life
  Elizabeth's family was among the wealthy Dutch landowners who had settled around Albany in the mid-1600s. Both her mother and father came from wealthy and well-regarded families. Like many landowners of the time, Philip Schuyler owned slaves, and Eliza would have grown up around slavery (which later she would fight against). Despite the unrest of the French and Indian War, which her father served in and which was fought in part very near her childhood home, Eliza's childhood was spent comfortably, learning to read and sew from her mother. Like most Dutch families of the area, she would have attended the Reformed Dutch Church of Albany, which still survives today, though the actual church Elizabeth would have attended was torn down in 1806. This instilled in her a strong and unwavering belief she would retain throughout her life.

  When she was a girl, Elizabeth accompanied her father to a meeting of the Six Nations and met Benjamin Franklin when he stayed briefly with the Schuyler family while traveling. Eliza was said to have been something of a tomboy when she was young; throughout her life she retained a strong will and even an impulsiveness that her acquaintances noted. James McHenry, one of Washington's aides alongside her future husband, would say that "Hers was a strong character with its depth and warmth, whether of feeling or temper controlled, but glowing underneath, bursting through at times in some emphatic expression." Much later, the son of Joanna Bethune, one of the women she worked alongside to found an orphanage later in her life, remembered that "Both [Elizabeth and Joanna] were of determined disposition...Mrs. Bethune the more cautious, Mrs. Hamilton the more impulsive."

Marriage
   In early 1780, Elizabeth went to stay with her aunt, Gertrude Schuyler Cochran, in Morristown, New Jersey. There she met Alexander Hamilton, one of General George Washington's aides-de-camp, who was stationed along with the General and his men in Morristown for the winter. (In fact, they had met previously, if briefly, two years before, when Hamilton dined with the Schuylers on his way back from a negotiation on Washington's behalf.) Also while in Morristown, Eliza met and became friends with Martha Washington, a friendship they would maintain throughout their husbands' political careers. Eliza later said of Mrs. Washington, "She was always my ideal of a true woman."